Has anyone ever used this enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Considering i have dogs which is a saftey hazard i'd rather pay a bit more for a professionally made one

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what kind of tortoise? and what kind of dog?
a med dog will break thru that or lift it up with no problem.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I have a russian tortoise and Two one hundred pound golden doodles

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
look in the enclosure section. you can use 1x6 boards, make a square and build a hinged screen top for it.. or use cinder blocks and build a top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's way too small for a tortoise. It might house a hatchling for the first year, but no longer than that. This tortoise house (in my opinion) is to tortoises what the plastic, oval-shaped pool with the plastic palm tree is to turtles.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
No, that's way too small for a tortoise. It might house a hatchling for the first year, but no longer than that. This tortoise house (in my opinion) is to tortoises what the plastic, oval-shaped pool with the plastic palm tree is to turtles.

Yes, I'll agree that's too small for one tortoise, especially if he'll be in there all the time. Look at combining 2 "Tortoise Houses" from Zoo Med. Amazon has them for about $85.00 a piece right now. If you put 2 of them together it will be enough for 1 tortoise (6 feet by 2 feet.)

I'd also go with paying some money and having it done professionally than you doing it yourself if you're not a master wood worker. They actually look pretty decent.

I know I've seen a lot of pictures on here of just sheer ugly garbage looking enclosures (they're great for the tortoises) but definitely not for a contemporary nice looking home. Going with some that are pre-built and pre-made will make your home or living area a bit nicer to look at.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
For what that'll cost, you could build one 8' (L) X 4' (W) X 2' (H) out of 2" X 6"s, with a 2" X 4"-and-hardware cloth lid...much nicer and your Russian tortoise will be much happier/healthier.

If there's a Lowe's near your house, they'll cut the wood to length for free...all that leaves is driving in the nails/screwing in the screws.

Here's our "quarantine enclosure" before we replaced the chicken wire w/ 1/2" hardware cloth...you can see how the top hinges up, and it's 6' X 4' X 2-1/2'. I used 2 X 4s rather than 2 X 6s, but either can work.

b612ac33-037a-45f1-9470-9777a5d24ba6

If you have someone cut the wood for you, something like this'll only take a couple of hours to put together. And for what that tiny enclosure would cost, or maybe just a bit less, your Russian'll have a lot more room!.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Terry Allan Hall said:
...all that leaves is driving in the nails/screwing in the screws.

:D Yeah, but that IS the hard part. :p :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jacqui said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
...all that leaves is driving in the nails/screwing in the screws.

:D Yeah, but that IS the hard part. :p :D

Men have enough sense to use electric drills, electric screw-drivers and electric nailguns, so that the 2 hour build time allows for at least one beer-run... ;)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's def to small, I would recommend two, you can also find someone that builds furniture and give him your idea and probably will come out cheaper or at the same price, but least it's your specifications, or Craigslist list sometimes u will find people selling old enclosures,

Status
Not open for further replies.