New member to the reptile family.

Coy Miller

I recently purchased my first baby sulcatta tortoise. I am not new to the reptile raising. I have several box turtles a russian tortoise and some aquatic turtles. They are all healthy and active.

The new guy on the other hand always seems sluggish and lethargic and unwilling to eat. I have read some of the posts here and increased the little guys temp and humidity but he still acts mostly the same.
I am looking for any advice and help I can get to raise a healthy and happy tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Please read and follow Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and raising a sulcata. Unfortunately, some just do bad and don't make it very long because of the bad way they were started before they are sold. Where did yours come from? Hopefully, setting the enclosure up right with temps, humidity and UVB will get your baby going in the right direction. Also, don't forget, when first put into new surroundings, some will take some time to get used to it. Good luck and hopfully things will turn around.

Also, all the info you can give us on the set up, lights, heat, temps, humidity, soaking routine, diet, etc, will help us better help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soaking baby tortoises every day does wonders for their mental and physical health. Warm water, about halfway up the sides for about 15 or 20 minutes each day.

Coy Miller

Okay I am finally home from work and can give some greater detail to my earlier post. The baby that I have was purchased from a local pet store and I picked the one with the most personality and also most active.
As far as the habitat. Right now it is temporarily housed in a 10 gallon glass aquarium with zoo med coconut substrate. I also use an overhead zoo med hood to keep humidity in with a UVB bulb and a day and night variable light setting.
As far as diet is concerned up until about a week ago he was a healthy forager in the front yard when not eating the greener selection in his habitat.
The humidity in the habitat is roughly 30-40 percent and average daytime temp is 75-80.
I cannot think of anything else to add rather than it appears to act like a respiratory infection since I had a box Tuttle exhibit the same symptoms three years ago.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Hello. I have hatched and raised sulcatas.
I would try to find something bigger to put it in, even a plastic tub/bin so you can have a "hot and cool side". You need to increase the temp. 100 hot spot-90 hot side, 80 cool side. Give it a humid hide box. And other scattered hides (so it can decide what temp it likes best) And you must giveit daily soakings And do not let the water get cold. soaking are VERY important.
After a nice warm soak, dry it off, place it back under the heat lamp. Leave it some grasses, weeds, clover for it to sniff out if or when he/she is interested.