New Member From Illinois

JakeSnake9502

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago Illinois, USA
Hello everybody my name is Jake. I live in Illinois near Chicago. I currently own two redfoot tortoises that are about 2.5 years old. I may need to rehome them though because the weather here isn't the best for them. I was unprepared when I was buying a tortoise it was more in the heat of the moment. I had done all my research on Hermanns and Greeks and Leopards but I was at an Expo and for some reason ended up with redfoots. I was really interested in getting Leopards as hatchlings, just like I did with the redfoots because I can provide them with everything they need. I also really wanted to purchase adult western herman's tortoises and breed them but if I did that I wouldn't be able to get the leopards. If anyone knows some easy to breed smaller tortoises that are able to live in a dryer climate please let me know. But regardless, other than the tortoises, I have two yellow bellied slider hatchlings that I am raising indoors and then once they're big enough I am going to move them outside to my 1,000 gallon pond in my yard. I have a dog and I also do some fish breeding indoors as well. My favorite species of tortoise is the Leopard tortoise. If anyone is able to help me with the breeding species part that would be awesome. I really am happy to be a new member here. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All tortoises need some humidity as adults and more so as hatchlings. People that live in Florida usually will add humidity at some point to their tortoises enclosure. RF are raised in dryer states then ours. Just some added humidity is needed on our low humidity days, which we haven't had many so far, at least here in the city of Chicago. When I want to add humidity, I turn on my misting hose. In the winter a humid hide for adults and a lite spray of the substrate top layer and more to the bottom layer should work good. Most/all other species would need just about the same.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My food bill ( wholesale) is $125.00 per week !
No, Gramps, you're thinking of your Budweiser bill! ;)
Hello, Jake, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Redfoots are great, wish I could get some here.
As Barbara (wellington) says, you just need to adapt a bit and they'll be fine.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
No, Gramps, you're thinking of your Budweiser bill! ;)
Hello, Jake, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Redfoots are great, wish I could get some here.
As Barbara (wellington) says, you just need to adapt a bit and they'll be fine.
Nope ! The wife pays for my Bud and she does say it's $125 .00 retail !