new member from British Columbia, saying Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishrose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hi Everyone,

this is my first time on here, I live in BC and have done so for 3 years having emmigrated from the UK with our pets (2 dogs and 2 Hermann's tortoises)

The torts are almost 4 years old and have just completed there 3rd successful hibernation! im always amazed and obviously relieved when they are well and survived, i worry so much about the whole thing, im sure there are many others who are the same as me.

Well thats it for now, just thought i would drop in and say hello!

Englishrose :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Englishrose:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Rose?

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks everyone, I feel the warmth already!!!!!!

My name is KAE not rose as my signature suggests :p

The adventure from the UK to BC has been difficult but ohhh so worth it ! the pets dont seem to have had any issues with adjusting.

Ive always loved torts and as a kid they were very common (late70-80's) alot of my neighbours had them as pets unfortunately many fell fowl to the lawnmower because the silly owners had forgotten they had hibernated !!!!!!!! :(

I spent some time researching the Hermann's species and knew they were the right fit for me, found a reptile specilist in Manchester who seemed very knowledgeable, bought the whole 'kit' and then had overlooked the whole issue of using a vivarium for them which was included in said kit, I continued to use that for approx 9 months then persuaded hubby to make one for me.

I purchased Norris first and we had him for about 3 months then we purchased Whistler about 5 months before we emmigrated. The vet check was hilarious to ensure they were fit to fly, I managed to get a 'B.O.G.O.F' buy 1 get 1 free on the cost of the vet check, lets face it when theyre so small whats to check! this was when I learned that Norris needed to be re-named to Doris :D :D :D I was thrilled to have a male and female.

The whole immigration and export import permits etc was a nightmare , the dogs were pretty easy to arrange and then the custom made crates for all pets, Doris and Whistler made there way here in a little wooden crate and were okay. They thrive quite well in BC the weather is much the same as the UK only we do get a better summer and they love to be outside.Theyre on there third custom made house now thanks to said hubby, and yes I WILL post pics ;).

K

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i looked into shipping my box turtles to the state of hawaii and it looked to be a nighmare! its wonderful that you were able to bring them with you though!

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hi turtlemann2,

I got a fantastic amount of support from another website like this which is called britishexpats.com there is a huge amount of information on there, which is where i found the contact for the permit office for customs canada and they really helped me alot. Everything was copied at the UK end and faxed over to the landing officer at the YVR airport.

The biggest worry for us was finding a supplier for all the lights etc that we needed when we had landed, luckily it was 38degrees so the heat wasnt an issue.

We didnt have anyone we could have left them with responsible enough to look after them, and we had been told it would be difficult to get a Hermanns in BC

turtlemann2 said:
i looked into shipping my box turtles to the state of hawaii and it looked to be a nighmare! its wonderful that you were able to bring them with you though!

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Well here are a couple of pictures of my torts

IMG_0406[1].JPG This first picture is Whistler, he is rather handsome

IMG_0410[1].JPG This picture is Doris, she is beautiful

Both of them were enjoying an hour in the garden.

IMG_0414[1].JPG This is a picture of there house which is indoors, the inside is getting an overhaul this weekend

Took me a while to figure out how to get the pics into the posting, but it worked :D

KAE

Last edited by a moderator:

Katherine

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. You have beautiful tortoises and I absolutely adore the sign adorning their home, so cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.