New Leopard Hatchling Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi. My name is Jay. I have a leopard hatchling, Tommy. He is unsexed, but who cares. He's so cute and interesting to watch. I have read quite a bit about diets and what to feed. So far, he doesn't like parsley, kale, beet greens, dill, carrot greens. He definitely prefers baby green lettuces to the red baby lettuces. I tore off a piece of collard greens at the store to try tomorrow. I guess as he grow and gets stronger, perhaps his tastes will change as well. I also keep a dish of Mazuri feed crushed up in his pen as well. Any advice is welcome. I do sprinkle calcium on his food a few times a week and use a mercury vapor light on a timer. He prefers the hot end of the tank.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are of proper care for raising a smooth and healthy leopard. They need humidity of 80%, with temps no lower then 80 and a basking of 95+

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thank you. I will. The hot end, which he prefers, is 100 degrees. I noticed right away that he likes to dig into the coco coir which I keep pretty damp. He also has a hide in the hot end which is filled with wet to damp sphagnum. I have never seen him use it though. He prefers to crawl under the sphagnum in the hot end to sleep.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and congrats on your new leo. I love Leos too. We love pics of him.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jay:

Glad to have you with us!

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Well, I have also noticed that Tommy does not seem to care for dandelion greens, prickly pear fruit, cabbage. He has tasted carrot - not too fond, has taken a few bites of parsley now, a few bites of swiss chard and dutch clover. Today is the first time in 2 weeks he has shown any interest in the Mazuri chow. I softened it with a little water - just enough to make it soft - not mushy. he must like the smell better. Oh, and he pooped and peed on my shirt while I was holding him! :0)

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Oh and I must add, he has started to sleep in his hide, which is a tupperware with a hole cut in the side filled with sphagnum moss and water 1/4 - 1/2" deep placed in the hot end of his cage with more sphagnum on top. Sometimes he climbs on top of his hide to bask.

dds7155

5 Year Member
soak the mazuri, if you handfeed him ,put a bit of the soaked mazuri on a piece of the greens, , he'll eat it,

Status
Not open for further replies.