Golden Greek Hatchling help!

tykariuswife30

Hello everyone! My name is Sara and I live in Iowa where I attend college (21 years old). I recently got a Golden Greek hatchling. Before I start with my questions, I want you guys to know I have read every thread, article, and book I have found on tortoises and especially Greek tortoises. My baby tortoise is 7-8 weeks old. I bought him from Arizona Tortoise Compound and named him Ollie.

The problem I am having is I'm not sure if he is pyramiding or growing! I know my substrate is too dry. The pet store was out of Eco earth when I had went to get all of his supplies, but I bought a bunch and am changing it tonight when my husband gets home to create more humidity. (He is in a 40 gallon tub). ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995503.512827.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995533.092613.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995553.500864.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995569.944617.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995611.580342.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446995640.313423.jpgHe is soaked daily and spritzed with his enclosure twice a day. He is fed red and green lettuces (but HATES red lettuce). There isn't any greens (other than collard) provided ANYWHERE in a one hour radius of me so we have stuck with red and green lettuces. I have tried parsley and collard greens with him, but he doesn't eat either of them. Can someone give me suggestions on other foods I can buy at Walmart and target for the winter for good variety?? And also tell me if he is growing or pyramiding?? I need help!!

Thanks in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He Sara, and welcome to the Forum!

What's important now in this baby's life, is a warm, slightly humid environment, with emphasis on the 'warm.' You might even consider covering or partially covering his habitat to keep the warm air in and the cooler air from the house out.

There are some feeding suggestions for you here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

(This is pinned at the top of the Greek section if you ever want to go back to it again)

Dosu

Kuwait
Heya!

I have a greek tortoise too :D For food, I'm having the same problems as you, It's hard getting weeds like dandilions for my tortoise so I have to stick with supermarket greens. For supermarket veggies, I'd suggest rocket, radish greens, romaine, collards, parsely. My tortoise started out only eating lettuce so I had to trick him into eating the other veggies. To do that I put the other veggies in the romaine lettuce and wrapped it and hand fed it. Every time he took a bite he would look at me weirdly but still eat. After a few weeks he started eating the other veggies alone :D I'd suggest maybe you try this way. It worked for me and maybe your baby tortoise might start eating other stuff too! Also, try to get some cuttlebone or calcium power and sprinkle it on food every once in a while. Ye know, them tortoises need the calcium :p

Good luck!

tykariuswife30

He Sara, and welcome to the Forum!

What's important now in this baby's life, is a warm, slightly humid environment, with emphasis on the 'warm.' You might even consider covering or partially covering his habitat to keep the warm air in and the cooler air from the house out.

There are some feeding suggestions for you here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

(This is pinned at the top of the Greek section if you ever want to go back to it again)

Thank you Yvonne!! You are awesome. Does his shell look okay?

tykariuswife30

Heya!

I have a greek tortoise too :D For food, I'm having the same problems as you, It's hard getting weeds like dandilions for my tortoise so I have to stick with supermarket greens. For supermarket veggies, I'd suggest rocket, radish greens, romaine, collards, parsely. My tortoise started out only eating lettuce so I had to trick him into eating the other veggies. To do that I put the other veggies in the romaine lettuce and wrapped it and hand fed it. Every time he took a bite he would look at me weirdly but still eat. After a few weeks he started eating the other veggies alone :D I'd suggest maybe you try this way. It worked for me and maybe your baby tortoise might start eating other stuff too! Also, try to get some cuttlebone or calcium power and sprinkle it on food every once in a while. Ye know, them tortoises need the calcium :p

Good luck!

Thank you so much :) I'm glad I will be able to message you if I have any other questions. Does his shell look okay to you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it looks fine. Just be sure to give him a bit of moisture in the substrate.

Dosu

Kuwait
Thank you so much :) I'm glad I will be able to message you if I have any other questions. Does his shell look okay to you?
I think his shell is fine, but I'm no professional so don't quote me :p

Lindsinic

I don't mean to throw a huge bout of confusion into everything, but I also have a Golden Greek hatchling. I recently took him to a reputable exotic pet veterinarian.

I was confused because the place I got Rocky from advised me to mist the tank each day, give him warm soaks each day, etc. Create a moist, humid environment basically. However, I had read something completely contradictory in a Reptile Magazine online article. This particular article explained that Golden Greeks are, in fact, a desert species adapted to dry, hot climates. Too much moisture for these tortoises can cause shell rot.

I brought this up to the vet and she explained that a tortoise will thrive best if the captive habitat mimics its natural habitat. And she said Reptile Magazine is a reputable and trustworthy source for information. She recommended that a very shallow, accessible water dish (changed at least once daily to remain fresh) be available to Rocky if he is parched. A good deal of moisture will be obtained through food...especially since we rinse them before feeding. A bath soak is only necessary once every 3 days.

We had a custom 3'x6' tortoise table built and we are using one CHE bulb centered over habitat (always on) and a 100W basking/UV bulb (on 12 hour timer) to one side. It is critical that you get your basking/UV bulb tested (our vet does it for free) so that they can tell you the exact height that it should be above your tortoise.

Main area is lined with reptile carpet and his "house" has some deep coconut fiber for burrowing at night.

The one thing we are still struggling with is calcium supplementing. I know that too little is harmful and too much is harmful. Our current powder has dosage directions of 1/2 tsp. daily per pound of food. Rocky is a tiny guy, he eats a minuscule fraction of a pound. If I could find a calcium powder that has dosage instructions per weight of tortoise that would be so much easier. I can just keep up on Rocky's weight and I'll always know he's getting a safe amount of calcium. If ANYONE knows of such a calcium powder please share.

Rocky moved into his new digs today and he's been so much more active than he was in his large glass tank. Seems to be happy exploring. If anyone sees any way to improve his home please let me know. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9790.JPG
    IMG_9790.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13

Lindsinic

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do that on here. Where do I go to start a new thread?

I don't mean to throw a huge bout of confusion into everything, but I also have a Golden Greek hatchling. I recently took him to a reputable exotic pet veterinarian.

I was confused because the place I got Rocky from advised me to mist the tank each day, give him warm soaks each day, etc. Create a moist, humid environment basically. However, I had read something completely contradictory in a Reptile Magazine online article. This particular article explained that Golden Greeks are, in fact, a desert species adapted to dry, hot climates. Too much moisture for these tortoises can cause shell rot.

I brought this up to the vet and she explained that a tortoise will thrive best if the captive habitat mimics its natural habitat. And she said Reptile Magazine is a reputable and trustworthy source for information. She recommended that a very shallow, accessible water dish (changed at least once daily to remain fresh) be available to Rocky if he is parched. A good deal of moisture will be obtained through food...especially since we rinse them before feeding. A bath soak is only necessary once every 3 days.

We had a custom 3'x6' tortoise table built and we are using one CHE bulb centered over habitat (always on) and a 100W basking/UV bulb (on 12 hour timer) to one side. It is critical that you get your basking/UV bulb tested (our vet does it for free) so that they can tell you the exact height that it should be above your tortoise.

Main area is lined with reptile carpet and his "house" has some deep coconut fiber for burrowing at night.

The one thing we are still struggling with is calcium supplementing. I know that too little is harmful and too much is harmful. Our current powder has dosage directions of 1/2 tsp. daily per pound of food. Rocky is a tiny guy, he eats a minuscule fraction of a pound. If I could find a calcium powder that has dosage instructions per weight of tortoise that would be so much easier. I can just keep up on Rocky's weight and I'll always know he's getting a safe amount of calcium. If ANYONE knows of such a calcium powder please share.

Rocky moved into his new digs today and he's been so much more active than he was in his large glass tank. Seems to be happy exploring. If anyone sees any way to improve his home please let me know. See pic.
Agree completely. @Lindsinic there is so much to talk about in your post you should start your own thread and talk there...