New Family Member

fritz269

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hey Everyone,

Got Torta, our new family member from someone who could not take care of her. At first I thought she(assuming from what I been told) was a Sulcata but I keep second guessing myself thinking she might be a Leopard. She has some pyramiding also so hoping to take care of that. I should be good at this by now but any help before I head out to buy equipment for her?

IMG_20160424_093759.jpg IMG_20160424_093809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Looks like a leopard to me also , care is similar to that of a sulcata from what I have read here ! ;)

Tort1419

From what I've seen as leopards have somewhat of a natural pyramiding, like Indian star tortoises, but it's a good idea to not let it get out of hand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup, a leopard. Do you see how he has to stand up on his back legs to reach the food? In this position, he'll have to extend his neck at an unnatural angle, which puts him in a bad position when it comes to his being prey. You may find he doesn't eat much. Tortoises can't bend. It's not good to use bowls, feeders or waterers that make the tortoise get in unnatural positions. Feed him on a piece of cement, tile or slate, and put the water in a plant saucer that is sunk down into the substrate.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to Torta!
Avoid coiled or long thin loop cfl type bulbs as these can damage torts eyes. Red lights also confuse them.
Mercury Vapour Bulbs (MVB) give heat light and essential uvb in one bulb, and for night heat a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat is a good option to keep temps even. I use mine in ceramic holders with wide domes. Hanging them is safer than the clamps which have been known to fail and cause fires and you can adjust temps by raising or lowering,
A temp gun is more accurate than the pet shop dial thermometers and easier for spot checking your 4 temps. A digital humidity/temp gauge with a probe is great for keeping an eye on tort level temps.
Some good advice I received was
too cold + humidity = sick tort
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hey All, thanks for the advice. I am going to get some more substrate like I use for my Russian. I just did not want to get the current substrate in her food. I have an old bowl like I do for my Russian that I am using and I know she is going to grow bigger so already looking at options outside and for indoor (when weather is an issue). Now verifying male or female? I think is a she but I am not sure if it is old enough to tell yet. She is about the size of my hand so is it the same as determening for Russians or shall I look for anything different? Anyone have pictures comparing female to male?
Thanks.

P.S. Shall i shring the pictures? did not realize they were so big. If so, what is the options for it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard has his own room as he's too big for a viv or table and I struggle with humidity, so I soak him everyday to make sure he's hydrated and to try to combat the pyramiding he has from his early life. I don't think its got any worse in the 20 months I 've had him. The caresheet should point you in the right direction for humidity levels though
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
Leopards need higher temps than Russians, day and night.
I don't let mine outside unless the ground temps are at least 70'F and in a spot sheltered from chilly winds.
Terracotta plant saucers are a good cheap and safe option.