New member to Riley's turtle family?

riley_bla41000

My birthday is in April and I'm really thinking about getting a new "family" member.I was thinking of something like a Mississippi map turtle or pink bellied side necked turtle. I have also thought of getting a tortoise. If I were to get a tortoise what kind should I get? I did some research and I really like the Greeks and the Marginated tortoises but I would be happy with any kind!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think the little Russian tortoise is a good first tortoise. But they require a lot of space. Don't be fooled into thinking that because he's a small species he won't take up much room. They need a lot of room to wander.

And any tortoise you get should have his primary enclosure/yard outside, and only coming indoors during inclement weather.

riley_bla41000

I think the little Russian tortoise is a good first tortoise. But they require a lot of space. Don't be fooled into thinking that because he's a small species he won't take up much room. They need a lot of room to wander.

And any tortoise you get should have his primary enclosure/yard outside, and only coming indoors during inclement weather.

Okay thank you! I'll have to see if i still have enough room in my room after I get my red eared sliders a bigger aquarium. And I have this flattened out piece in my yard we used to put our pool on, it's about 30 feet long and wide that might make a good place for an enclosure. And I know they have some Russian tortoises at my Petco, but I don't know how healthy theirs are. Where would probably be the best place to purchase him?

riley_bla41000