New environment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
Changed his cage from green carpet to top soil and sphagnum moss. He's been exploring a lot more and loves it! Gave him a dish to soak in as well.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083785.298278.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083800.133823.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083809.366666.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hope you don't mind if I critique your habitat a tiny bit...

Your light isn't doing any good for two reasons...one it's placed at an angle, and should be straight down (especially if it's a mercury vapor bulb), and two, the UV rays don't go through screen material.

I really like the look of the moss on the substrate. That looks like it will keep the substrate out of the water and off the food. Be sure to keep it moist.

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
The light is pointed on the basking spot which also has a heat pad under it. The overall terrarium is 95 degrees right now. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I also hope you don't mind a little critique if I may.

- Personally, I would aim for closer to 100 rather than 95. In my experience, I've had better results with the warmer temperatures as far as increasing the level of activity. 95 isn't bad, it's just I think closer to 100 is better. It's surprising the difference 5 degrees will make.

- I can't tell from your pictures, but is the rock structure hallow inside? As in, can he hide underneath it? If not, I would recommend some sort of hide so he can secure himself out of sight. Again by way of personal opinion, I've noticed from my tortoises that when they rest during the day, they like to be hidden out of plain sight.

- I suppose it all depends on where in the world you live or how efficient your windows are, but my initial thoughts are that placing a tank next to a window will cause a lot of headaches trying to control your temperature at all times of the day. If you maintain your temperatures to where you want them all day with minimal effort, than don't do anything. But, I would rather move the enclosure next to an interior wall.

Otherwise I think you can get by ok. He looks like he has had a great start in life.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I think it looks great. Only thing I would say to fix it the light face it down and that water dish I had the same one and it is to slippery for the hatchlings to get up it. You will see that the tort will never be in it because they can't get in to get a drink. I would get the saucer from the pot they use to to plants in.Once I switched I have had no problems at all with my torts getting a drink or even taken a dip :)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Neal said:
I also hope you don't mind a little critique if I may.

- Personally, I would aim for closer to 100 rather than 95. In my experience, I've had better results with the warmer temperatures as far as increasing the level of activity. 95 isn't bad, it's just I think closer to 100 is better. It's surprising the difference 5 degrees will make.

- I can't tell from your pictures, but is the rock structure hallow inside? As in, can he hide underneath it? If not, I would recommend some sort of hide so he can secure himself out of sight. Again by way of personal opinion, I've noticed from my tortoises that when they rest during the day, they like to be hidden out of plain sight.

- I suppose it all depends on where in the world you live or how efficient your windows are, but my initial thoughts are that placing a tank next to a window will cause a lot of headaches trying to control your temperature at all times of the day. If you maintain your temperatures to where you want them all day with minimal effort, than don't do anything. But, I would rather move the enclosure next to an interior wall.

Otherwise I think you can get by ok. He looks like he has had a great start in life.

shouldnt the basking spot be about 100 and the rest of the enclosure around 85?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
nate.mann said:

That's a good rule of thumb for an enclosure with high humidity, and my 100f suggestion was only intended as a basking spot. I didn't make any mention of the remainder of the enclosure, but anywhere between 80 and 85 should be in the safe zone as a low for an enclosure with high humidity.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Neal said:
nate.mann said:

That's a good rule of thumb for an enclosure with high humidity, and my 100f suggestion was only intended as a basking spot. I didn't make any mention of the remainder of the enclosure, but anywhere between 80 and 85 should be in the safe zone as a low for an enclosure with high humidity.

oh okay. i figured that because you didnt specify that you meant overall. thanks

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My mistake, I read through post #3 too quickly and only saw "basking spot" and 95 degrees, so that would change my recommendations a little bit. Thank you for pointing that out.

To clarify, I would recommend a basking spot of 100 and 80 as a low if you have high humidity in the enclosure.

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
Thank you guys. The terrarium heated up more. It's perfect and he's loving it :) and I am using a dish from a plant pot. It's not slippery at all. He gets in and out of it perfectly.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
alexialawrence said:
Thank you guys. The terrarium heated up more. It's perfect and he's loving it :) and I am using a dish from a plant pot. It's not slippery at all. He gets in and out of it perfectly.

Hmmm that's weird I bought 2 of those kinds and they were just to hard for them to get up in it. Bt good you are changing it I found these work soooo much better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.