POSSIBLE PYRAMIDING?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
But what substrate / bedding are you using to allow the plants to grow and tortiose to be safe

Coco coir it came in a block and you soak it so it can expand. One block will last you a long time. My setup is a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tub and the substrate is like 5” deep

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
But what substrate / bedding are you using to allow the plants to grow and tortiose to be safe
Avoid any type of fertilized soil. I found an organic top soil at home depo with no additives and no animal byproduct. I use a sansi 40w led grow light shining through my greenhouse plastic, see my latest posts for documentation of my current sprouts (daily pictures).

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
If you use this one maybe bake it to 160 on sheet trays to kill any larvae.

Otherwise I'm using benfitial nematodes to deal with my gnat problem. And roly polys as a clean up grew for plant matter and tortoise waste.Screenshot_20190201-124036.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure what just about any of that is, what's a mvb I've changed the entire set up and now I need a new fixture and light bulb style you think? Heat lamp during the day and this at night wouldn't do the trick?
Ditch that heat mat. Those kind can be dangerous. The Kane or stanfield pig blanket heat mats is the only kind I would use or recommend.
The mvb stands for mercury vapor bulb.

Tseeman

Ohio
Usually there's screws on the top of the fixture. Just screw the screws thru the top of the plastic into the fixture inside the enclosure. So basically the light is mounted to the bottom (inside) of the lid.
Okay I went to the store can this be safer than the spiral one I'm using now? Until I get a tube fixture

Attachments

• 20190202_182527.jpg
    20190202_182527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Okay I went to the store can this be safer than the spiral one I'm using now? Until I get a tube fixture
That's a compact fluorescent, it's actually the same as the one you have. They've been known to cause problems with torts eyes. I've actually experienced it myself. Your Tort would be fine with just a regular 40 watt bulb for a little while till you get the tube light, just not to long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've never used a heat mat...what is the difference between these types that makes one unsafe?
They are very cheap and unpredictable. Many years ago I used one. Just a very hot spot. I never liked them since. They seem to do more damage then good. The Kane and stanfield are made for farm animals to lay on, possibly pee on etc. they are a hard plastic surface so weight/nails can't make holes etc. they can withstand a lot more and are are lot safer.

bjscott94

Ohio
Hello, new owner and member of this site.

I have a baby leopard and sense finding this site I've saw others post pics and made me worried ,is my Lenard pyramiding? Ever sense I've owned him I've had trouble with humidity levels. I have moss under my cypress bedding, large water dish , mist daily , soak every or every other day. Also his cage is cramped I'm buying a new tank next month, and that pile off moss is gonna be covered back up he borrowed under it before I took these pics.
Hello, and beautiful leapord Tortoise. I am also a owner of a leopard Tortoise and your Tortoise’s shell looks like it’s in really good condition and I don’t notice any pyramiding in the pictures. Lenard’s shell looks glossy, and nice and smooth just how it’s suppose to look. To help with humidity I would recommend a reptile fogger. I use a fogger and it is an extreme plus. Not only does it add humidity but I keep the fogger aimed close to my tortoises food so it helps keep the food fresh and prevents drying. Speaking of food I also notice it looks like you have lettuce in there. NEVER feed your tortoise lettuce! No nutritional value and just full of water. I would recommend feeding Lenard: Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, vegetables like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and yams. The variety is important because greens don’t contain a lot, if any, vitamin A which is important that your tortoise takes in. Also occasional fruits are ok but keep it seldom. Some Good fruits are strawberries, apples (avoid bananas). Feeding Lenard Mazuri Tortoise Diet is also a very good nutritional food source but I would feed Mazuri as more of a treat because it is very high in nutritional value and feeding it on a regular basis can lead to pyramiding. And finally, I’m not a big fan of the Tote idea, but that’s just my personal opinion and I don’t see it being a bad thing.. I’m gonna attach a picture of my leopard tortoise named Leo when I first got her and a picture of her now in her habitat :) Good Luck with Lenard!

57E3D8E5-B12D-4CD4-9071-0B5C873AE1F8.jpeg 1D5777C8-0037-4009-A679-E2F121C2743C.jpeg 505667A2-37CB-4F53-AEEA-9EE33C06CCCE.jpeg FBA0B9A6-A18C-41D2-A1DD-81743A64C882.jpeg 36212C38-095E-498D-A0C6-24A09FAE371E.jpeg F480DBD7-5321-4A0C-9D0B-75E100056B37.jpeg

DDickie

5 Year Member
UK
I've owned a Greek Spur-Thighed tortoise for 60 years and never kept him in a vivarium but let him run free in my garden when the temperature is warm enough!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've owned a Greek Spur-Thighed tortoise for 60 years and never kept him in a vivarium but let him run free in my garden when the temperature is warm enough!
There's a very big difference between a Greek and a leopard, a tortoise that doesn't know about cool weather. It's never cool in Africa. Also, the humidity isn't that important to a Greek tortoise like it is to a leopard.

Calinyc

New York
P.S opinions on Zoo Meds loose coconut fiber substrate in the corner I've read it's better for him to burrow in which he loves to borrow so tonight I added it in his corner of the tank
Hey I started having the same problem and it looks to me like u need more bedding to make it more moist.what I did was went out and brought more mulch and made it real dampy so that it can start humidity try that out and see if that works Budd...

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@bjscott94

"I would feed Mazuri as more of a treat because it is very high in nutritional value and feeding it on a regular basis can lead to pyramiding."

Can you please cite where you obtained this information? As far as I am aware, there is no actual data to support this.

Russiantortylady

Vermont
OK so I am wondering about a humidity box?? I am wondering where I can get one of these? I am having trouble with humidity as well, it is only in the moderate range......any suggestions? Thank you

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Also tbh I forgot to quote that leopard tortoises are a species which typically pyramids a little naturally anyways. If you see pyramiding in a leopard tortoise it’s not always a bad thing, so long as you know humidity is at 80%.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
OK so I am wondering about a humidity box?? I am wondering where I can get one of these? I am having trouble with humidity as well, it is only in the moderate range......any suggestions? Thank you

Any plastic tub can be a humidity box, it’s better if the tub is snug when the tortoise enters however as it will replicate a burrow.

bjscott94

Ohio
@bjscott94

"I would feed Mazuri as more of a treat because it is very high in nutritional value and feeding it on a regular basis can lead to pyramiding."

Can you please cite where you obtained this information? As far as I am aware, there is no actual data to support this.
Hello thanks for the question. And I have only heard about this through word of mouth from My Tortoise Vet, and other Tortoise Owners. My Tortoise’s Veterinarian says he sees a lot of pyramiding from owners who feed Mazuri Tortoise diet on a regular basis and especially as a only food source. In the wild, Leopard Tortoise’s roam and eat ALOT of grass. They eat so much because grass is very low in any nutritional value so they eat a lot of it. When you own a tortoise and feed it really high nutrients everyday, the shell can grow quicker than the body and that can lead to pyramiding when the body has no where else to store all those nutrients it starts storing it in the shell. Don’t get me wrong, Mazuri is very beneficial to Tortoise’s. But from what I’ve learned from the Vet over the years is it shouldn’t be the only daily food source. I hope that was helpful :)

bjscott94

Ohio
Also tbh I forgot to quote that leopard tortoises are a species which typically pyramids a little naturally anyways. If you see pyramiding in a leopard tortoise it’s not always a bad thing, so long as you know humidity is at 80%.
I agree ☝️