New enclosure

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I need some honest opinions. I just built my new outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise and wanna know what y'all think. And if you see any issues tell me please. Really all I did was section off part of my garden and buried a piece of wood to stop digging. So dimensions are 5 feet wide at widest section and 6 feet long. I plan to plant varies weeds and such in there for food for him to graze. Oh also the brick around it is 4 feet off the ground so he can't dig out there and the wood is a foot underground and another foot above ground. The bricks also have a lip on the inside to stop climbing out. So let me know what you think. I spent 4 hours building this all together. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491681757.301709.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491681773.884112.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491681786.852491.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491681810.132649.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks and sounds good. Can't tell if the rectangle thing is for water? If not, that's all that's missing besides the plants your going to add. Good job

kobobird

Kentucky
Thanks everyone! And yes the rectangle thing is a water dish. I've been a nervous wreck about him escaping so I'm glad it sounds good! I let him run around in it for a couple hours to test it out and he seemed to really like it! He tried his best to dig out but after about 4 inches down gave up.

amrad

I want to make one like this for my Russian! Thanks for the share =-)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Is the block wall also buried into the ground? If so, how deep?
Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species and will dig burrows up to 12" deep and 42" long in some soils. They're burrow has one entrance and exit. They do not normally come up through their burrow (like on the other side of a barrier) due to them digging downward as they dig forward. But if there is an underground obstruction or their entrance is blocked off they will sometimes dig upward to get out. So it is important that all perimeter walls be buried deep enough.

kobobird

Kentucky
Is the block wall also buried into the ground? If so, how deep?
Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species and will dig burrows up to 12" deep and 42" long in some soils. They're burrow has one entrance and exit. They do not normally come up through their burrow (like on the other side of a barrier) due to them digging downward as they dig forward. But if there is an underground obstruction or their entrance is blocked off they will sometimes dig upward to get out. So it is important that all perimeter walls be buried deep enough.
His enclosure is my front garden which is a retaining wall. The whole thing is raised 4 feet off the ground. So he'll have to dig through 3 feet of top soil and and then a foot of clay dirt to get out. He has tried digging out already but normally gives up after 6 inches down. Thanks for the concern!