New enclosure

Annm184

Hi guys. Looking for some advice. I got my wee Russian tortoise a large new enclosure. And built it yesterday. She seemed to be exploring all day yesterday in it. However today I came in from work and seems she hasn't eaten any food (which us unlike her) and hadn't been under her basking light as not as warm as she usually is. Is this norm? Will it take her time to get used to it? I have now moved he basking light to the middle section of the table and the heating is on all day so she doesnt drop too much temperature. But a little worried. She was so sluggish tonight and not active. Any advice? Thanks Ann

Attachments

• 20170402_143555.jpg
    20170402_143555.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Whats the temperature like in the room with the enclosure in it? Also do you know the temperature under the lamp?

Annm184

Hiya. The room is always 20 degrees or above. Her enclosure in the coolest part is 20 and under her heat lamp is between 40 and 45 degrees. She was up early this morning.so I'm hoping after moving lamp to middle of enclosure she might be better. I've also added additional lighting incase it was to dark. Is it normal for theme to be out of sorts?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
It is normal for a tortoise to take a few days to settle into a new enclosure, just iike you would if you moved into a new home.

But it is critical to be sure those temps are right when you get started! I'm not experienced with indoor enclosures so will let someone knowledgeable help you get that sorted out.