Question/s re new Russian Tortoise

Brian Walters

Hello everyone- new member here. I've lurked for a few days, and would like to verify some of the info that I have seen. We live in Austin, Texas- current daytime temps are close to 100.

We have a new Russian tortoise- I got it from someone on Craigslist last Thursday. I set up an outside enclosure for it- specifics are below. The first night, she was relatively active, and the next morning, we fed her some bacopa that grows around our pond, which she ate voraciously- see here:

But since that first day, she has been generally very sluggish and sedated- not really eating, and stays in her hollowed out log. The enclosure is in the shade for the majority of the day- only around an hour or so of direct sunshine in the morning, and around 2 hours in the late afternoon.

I wet the entire substrate on Fri evening, and she seemed to like that; she ate a little of the lettuce that we fed her earlier in the day. And this morning, I soaked her in 2 inches of water that was around 100 degrees or so- she "pooped" and generally seemed to enjoy it; but apart from that, much more sluggish than I'm comfortable with.

Everything that I have read indicates that she might just be getting accustomed to her new surroundings, but I want/need to make sure- given the pic, video, and info below, is this what might be expected for a new tortoise?

Enclosure size: 3' x 5'
Substrate: combination of sand and mulch.
Light: Natural- direct sun for 3 hours total daily, shade for much of the rest of the day.
Food: bacopa (aquatic plant); lettuce; a few grapes once.
Daytime temps: upper 90s
Nighttime temps: upper 70s

Attachments

• 20150723_163109.jpg
    20150723_163109.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I suspect it will take her a while to get comfortable. You might add some plants in there for cover to help her feel less exposed.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome. I consider craigslist tortoises rescues.

Some modifications will help. Sand isn't a good substrate. Not convinced about mulch, either. It needs to hold moisture & he needs to be able to dig down. You also want to grow plants in it for grazing, such hosta, violets, cranesbill, rose of Sharon, mulberry, plantain, dandelion. Broad leaved weeds & various flowers. Vary the diet and don't feed fruit.

Make it rain when it's too hot, and shade that water dish. It's too warm.

Read the care sheet.

Brian Walters

Thanks for the responses. A few modifications since that earlier video- yes, the water is in shade, and a few more plants added to grow.

Will continue to monitor her...