New enclosure

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Can I ask why? I am looking into getting a LARGE rubbermaid tub and redoing. I just ordered new lighting and a thermometer.View attachment 179093
Rubbermaid will work. If you want a "pretty set up" I personally like the fish tank (big&shallow, no deep sides) biggest you can get. Or vivarium. Glass or acrylic tank will handle all the moisture plus you can plant if and make it look pretty permanent fixture of the room. Tank also makes installing the lights easy. I am a woman and completely NOT handy with any tools so EASY is a must for me:) Petco runs 1$ per 1gallon sale every now and then, the best time to buy a big tank. Or on craigslist. Then buy a metal screened top that fits the tank (pet store) you can sit your lamps on that screen, it's designed to handle the heat and permeate the UVB. You can find those in reptile section of the store. Then to hold the humidity you'll need to cover the open spaces between the lamps or cover the whole thing lamps and all. I used insulation material called Relectix can get it at construction section of hardware store or online. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467628724.141984.jpg cut the wholes to fit the lamps and secured it with metal adhesive tape also called Reflectix I think. They both are meant to handle the heat (I was worried about the fire safety)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Rubbermaid will work. If you want a "pretty set up" I personally like the fish tank (big&shallow, no deep sides) biggest you can get. Or vivarium. Glass or acrylic tank will handle all the moisture plus you can plant if and make it look pretty permanent fixture of the room. Tank also makes installing the lights easy. I am a woman and completely NOT handy with any tools so EASY is a must for me:) Petco runs 1$ per 1gallon sale every now and then, the best time to buy a big tank. Or on craigslist. Then buy a metal screened top that fits the tank (pet store) you can sit your lamps on that screen, it's designed to handle the heat and permeate the UVB. You can find those in reptile section of the store. Then to hold the humidity you'll need to cover the open spaces between the lamps or cover the whole thing lamps and all. I used insulation material called Relectix can get it at construction section of hardware store or online. View attachment 179114 cut the wholes to fit the lamps and secured it with metal adhesive tape also called Reflectix I think. They both are meant to handle the heat (I was worried about the fire safety)
Never thought to use Reflectix; that's pretty cool. I'm sure you're baby tort will be OK, @Samantha hoffman. Pet stores have really annoyed me since I entered the tort world. They are all too often more concerned with sales than with the needs of the animal. Which is disgusting! Thank goodness for this forum though! So many members have provided me with such great advice that I'm confident I can give my little guy the best possible care. Took me a while to get there, but we're always learning. :) Also, your little tort is ADORABLE! :D