New Enclosure for Yearlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Well...I just gutted a planter that we have on one side of our house! I started thinking that this would be a GREAT habitat for the youngsters...they're almost a year now and they would love it. And when they've outgrown it, I can make it a planter again. The brickwork is about a foot high and the bottom is concrete. It will have a frame extending the full lenth of the fence for a lids...it will be completely enclosed...NO UNWELCOME VISITORS!

The dimensions will be 37'x2'...that's 74 square feet for 4 yearlings...
296f02p.jpg

ALL critiques, ideas, praise welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well you know I like those sprinklers for hot summer days. Seems like it will work great to me.

By the way, when those outgrow it, you'll have more little ones or some other species. Point is, who are you kidding? It will never be a planter again. Unless you plant it for your new box turtles or redfoots. Ha Ha. Is this the line you gave your wife. If she's anything like mine, she didn't buy it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you can have the best of both worlds. Plant it in eye-appealing forage and hiding places and when the sulcatas outgrow it, use Tom's idea and put more turtles or tortoises in it. Flower bed/tortoise habitat. In fact, I think box turtles would go well in there.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
And you didn't think of this sooner?! Everything I see now looks like a potential tortoise enclosure.
I think it'll be awesome.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
South FL Katie said:
Everything I see now looks like a potential tortoise enclosure.

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I tried convincing my mom to dig up her raised garden because it would be PERFECT for Nelson's outdoor enclosure. Unfortunately she already has vegetables planted- darnit!
Every backyard I see I'm like "oo that would be the perfect space for Nelson..." :rolleyes:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well...I got on ebay and I've got 5 lbs of Bermuda seeds coming from FL and 5 Red Apple Iceplants from just down the road here...just gonna redo the planter...add some lime and peat and top-of-the-line soil and let everything set for a coupla weeks while I construct my frame and we should be in business...I think before it's over I'll nab some dandelion seed and some endive and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.