New Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Merry Christmas to me.

Today I finally received the book "Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.

It is unavailable in Canada, so I had ordered it and had it shipped to a friend in the US that has come home for the Holidays to Ontario.

Can't wait to start it.

Has anyone else read it?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I have this book. It's quite informative, and has some great pen ideas and fantastic pictures. Being in Canada, you'll find it very relevant to you, as the author focuses on challenges keeping Hermann's tortoises in northern latitudes.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
One could ask why many of the things that are available in the U.S. are not available here...

It's not that it's been banned or anything, we just don't tend to have the same product availability here. Perhaps the demand or shipping costs...

I couldn't even get it on Amazon.ca, had to go to Amazon.com. Just a reality we deal with here.

But...I sure am glad my friend moved to New York about 5 years ago. She usually has a small collection of things for me when she comes home or I go visit :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
llaperle said:
One could ask why many of the things that are available in the U.S. are not available here...

It's not that it's been banned or anything, we just don't tend to have the same product availability here. Perhaps the demand or shipping costs...

I couldn't even get it on Amazon.ca, had to go to Amazon.com. Just a reality we deal with here.

But...I sure am glad my friend moved to New York about 5 years ago. She usually has a small collection of things for me when she comes home or I go visit :)

I see...lived in Toronto in '82-83, but don't remember having that much trouble back then getting things like books or recordings, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's an awesome book! It's actually been in English print since about 2009 (ISBN 978-3-9809774-4-9). I think I've read it completely at least three times and skimmed through it dozens more times! It gives much different, more naturalistic (and refreshing) viewpoint to keeping Hermann's in captivity.

If you like Wegehaupt's book you may also enjoy a book by Holger Vetter entitled: "Hermann's Tortoise, Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises" (ISBN 3-89973-602-8). Although the title doesn't mention it, the book also covers Western Hermann's Testudo hermanni hermanni.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I think that the internet has made us Canadians more aware of the things we don't have and can't get. ALL those years ago we just didn't know what the world had to offer Terry.

Happily, I now have a way to procure many things, but still not tortoises from out-of-country :(

Status
Not open for further replies.