Hermanns weight reference

Hermann Hermit

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I had the question on normal growth weight of Hermann's tortoises and saw other posts raising similar questions. Recently, reading some books on tortoises (especially Hermann's tortoises) and found the growth table in the book "Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hernmann's Tortoises" is helpful (author: Wolfgang Wegehaupt, P255) Share it here =)

IMG_3395.JPG IMG_3380.JPG

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
His book is great, but keep in mind those numbers are based on a tort that hibernates. If you keep yours awake it will grow at a faster rate.

Rue

Canada
I was told that my 7 m old baby is way too big and that this is horribly unhealthy and will lead to long term health issues. And according to that scale she is the size of a 4 year old.

I asked what I was supposed to do about it...such as offer up some suboptimal care - and received no reply.

I am following current recommended care directions the best I can. She is fed as much as she can eat once a day. She is not fat. She is active within the constraints of her enclosures.

I suggested that her "huge" size was a result of optimal care and perhaps genetics. The genetics suggestion was pooh-poohed. I am not sure why. We have a limited gene pool up here...if they are all bigger animals we could be getting bigger babies.

I did a bit of Googling and found others who had large hatchlings of comparable weight...so mine is not some bizarre outlier at least.

I was a little upset actually. We are told to provide optimal care...but then get heck for the end result of that care?

I am not big into weighing animals since we tend to get too hung up on numbers...but I have weighed her a few times. Now I am scared to weigh her at all ...lol. Maybe she's a Sulcata in diguise?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Interesting data. Would love to see this on other species

Also important to note these are WILD tortoises their first six years. He has a disclaimer that even poorly kept captive individuals will normally exceed these growth rates

Rue

Canada
Yes. And this was the evidence offered up to suggest my baby was unhealthy. ...years and years of experience with wild animals. But this person also breeds and her captive bred babies are small as well.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Well, what is "optimal care"?
My torts are not much bigger than wild ones (Eastern, not Western Hermanns). They always have food and water available and inside the cold frame they have temperatures similar to their countries of origin.

I believe that for example the night temperatures are very important for natural growth. Indoor tortoises never have cool nights, but in spring and fall my torts seem to prefer chilly places. When I forget to open the cold frame in the evening, they start to sleep outside. :rolleyes:

Rue

Canada
I would define "optimal care" as following the current "best" recommendations with regards to housing, temperature, RH, diet and lighting.

FWIW...our nighttime temps are 60-65 for the most part.

Rue

Canada
Good to hear...mine was 76 or 79 g at 5 m.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Over feeding and for lack of a better term, coddling, of tortoises causes them to grow fast. In the wild they experience lack of food, cold, rainy days etc. I'm not for abusing animals, but some times I leave their light off for a day or skip a feeding.

keithsf

5 Year Member
True, but in the wild what % don't even make it through the first year? I don't want to experience those odds.
The first year is such a precarious one that I'm fine with a little coddling, but in general I agree with Wegehaupt's approach once the tortoise is a bit more established.

Rue

Canada
Am I coddling? She didn't like very many of the weeds I was giving her last week...she ate less. I didn't run and give her preferred foods to make up.

I give her full leaves too...she has to work for her food.