new aldabra tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I am so excited.. I am finally getting my dream tortoise in march.. I am in the process of building his habitat... I plan on planting some rose of sharrons(hibiscus family), and some prickless cactus, but i would greatly appreciate some suggestions on some benifical veggitation and landscapeing.. any ideas... and he has adequate space, water source, shade spots , and a safe hide... Just wondering if the are any other plants, or shrubs that he can benifit from... Thank you

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi mtdavis, I'm glad you get your dream tortoise. How big is your aldabra?
It seems you giving him a big outdoor enclosure already.

Since you already have hibiscus and cactus. What about mulberry tree, grape tree, weeds like plaintain, dandelion, sow thistle? They seem to be fond of them.

You should cover it with grass. What about Axonopus compressus, bermuda grass, zoysia?

Greg should be very nice to discuss things with too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats:) That's most people's dream tort. One thing I remember Greg saying, they will run over things, instead of trying to go around them. As babies, thats not much of a problem, as adults, look out. Keep that in mind as you build his permanent outdoor area. BTW, where are you getting it from?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Congrats:) That's most people's dream tort. One thing I remember Greg saying, they will run over things, instead of trying to go around them. As babies, thats not much of a problem, as adults, look out. Keep that in mind as you build his permanent outdoor area. BTW, where are you getting it from?

Thanx... good to know.. his grown pen will be set up at the barn , that way he will have a temp controled horse stall with a good amount of land all to him,,,, but that will be later on. I was actually referred to a breeder out of florida(Florida Iguana & Tortoise Breeders)

[

Yellow Turtle said:
Hi mtdavis, I'm glad you get your dream tortoise. How big is your aldabra?
It seems you giving him a big outdoor enclosure already.

Since you already have hibiscus and cactus. What about mulberry tree, grape tree, weeds like plaintain, dandelion, sow thistle? They seem to be fond of them.

You should cover it with grass. What about Axonopus compressus, bermuda grass, zoysia?

Greg should be very nice to discuss things with too.
Thank you so much for the info.. Right now he is around 8 inches,,, his pen is going to be about 16 ft long and 18 foot wide.. it is attached to my breeze way.. its still a work in progress but i will definitely be posting pics as it progresses

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I have seen them before. Is it one of the two pictured for sale on kingsnake classified? Sounds like you have lots of room for him or her to grow large in:D

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
Sounds really nice, good luck, look forward to seeing pics

Thank you so much.. Ive been working to get this for years.. I just finished paying off my school loans and i got the promotion ive been waiting for.. I am so lucky my wife finally gave me the okay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jtrux said:
I've been saying it for years, woman hold us down!

Ummm, I don't think so. If it weren't for us, men couldn't function:p:D Also if it weren't for us, you would have the money to afford the purchases or the place to house them. We are the ones that know how to work the funds to do so:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D Just joking as I am sure you were, RIGHT!:D

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
this is daisy.... she will be comeing home at the end of march...

Attachments

• _5 Face (640x480).jpg
    _5 Face (640x480).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 137

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is she from Florida iguana? She kinda looks like the one they are advertising with a messed up shell. Cute face though.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
mtdavis254817 said:

Cool, can't wait to see the pictures once she settles in her new place.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
mtdavis254817 said:

yes she is from florida inguana.. she isnt the one that is advertised as a lil ball of energy thats left side is smaller than the right.. have you seen that video.. He is a lil turbo.. I do think he would make a great pet.. Daisy is #5. she does have a raised scute in the back(saddle), but im sure it will smooth out with growth.. Do you know anytng about floridainguana?? I am really impressed with the work they do, and the owner seems to be a great guy.. He is always there when i have a question.. We were nervous about makeing such a big purchase without really being able to hand pick the tort.. However they have really taken the fear of the experince away... I would recomend them to anybody just for the help they have given me...
If you havent yet you should visit their website.. They have some great videos.. There is a sulcata there that has divided scutes, but they make an awsome pattern of a cross.. so cool

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Sam from Floridaiguana recently just posted in aldabra forum thread. I think he is the guy with a lot of knowledge and experience in keeping tortoise.

Can't wait to see your aldabra in his new enclosure. Please post it in the aldabra thread, we need more posts there :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Mtdavis, love it when someone gets something they always wish for,though sometimes the work to prepare hinders many's dreams!
Is this your first tort, or one of many and you finally said lets do it with the Aldabra?
Curious. Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.