Native hibiscus (rose mallow) in redfoot enclosure

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
So at my old place, Beasley (redfoot) had a Rose of Sharon. It made her delicious blossoms all summer. :) I have learned of native hibiscus (rose mallow) and would like to plant one in Beasley's new enclosure at the new place, but they seem to like a lot of sun. That said, some pages say they are tolerant of some shade. The pen is, appropriately for a redfoot, in a shaded area on on the north side. There will be some AM sun but shade most of the day.

Does anyone have rose mallow (or rose of sharon) in a shadier location? Will it thrive/bloom, or is this a waste of time? I can possibly plant one on the sunnier side, but that is outside my privacy fence, so apparently the HOA may just plow over it if it's in the way for anything (gutter cleaning, etc) and I DO like just being able to reach out, grab a few blossoms, and hand them to Beasley as I walk by. :)

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
You could plant it in another area of the yard and just use it as a food source
Yes, I did say that above. Just would rather not, as the only place would be outside my fence and then there is no guarantee that it won't be in the way of the HOA people and they may just plow it down or put a ladder on it or whatever.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Try it, if it doesnt get enough sunlight for blossoms, it will still have enough to grow nice tasty leaves. The leaves & stalks are just as good for tortoise food supplements. Good luck