Need opinions on shell please

Justin_

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
This is my Sulcata Tortoise named Kiwi, I got her as a rescue. The first photo is when I got her and the rest of the photos are from today. She had a small crack and some scutes that were kind of concave looking. I cleaned and disinfected her and put vet recommended resin adhesive on her crack in hopes of it healing together properly. It came off the other day and now I’m curious about her scutes. They kind of look like one is growing a little over the other but I don’t even know if that could happen. Should I take her to the vet for this? Should I let it be and see? She’s a happy and active tortoise I would just appreciate some opinions if anyone has insights on something like this

Attachments

• IMG_6753.jpeg
    IMG_6753.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6735.jpeg
    IMG_6735.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6750.jpeg
    IMG_6750.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would leave it be. Nothing looks concerning.
Do you have her set up in a closed chamber 80% humidity! She is pyramided and you want to get that to stop.

Justin_

Ohio
I would leave it be. Nothing looks concerning.
Do you have her set up in a closed chamber 80% humidity! She is pyramided and you want to get that to stop.
Thank you! Yes I have her in humidity now, I read up on what causes that and I definitely want to stop it. I appreciate your feedback on her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is my Sulcata Tortoise named Kiwi, I got her as a rescue. The first photo is when I got her and the rest of the photos are from today. She had a small crack and some scutes that were kind of concave looking. I cleaned and disinfected her and put vet recommended resin adhesive on her crack in hopes of it healing together properly. It came off the other day and now I’m curious about her scutes. They kind of look like one is growing a little over the other but I don’t even know if that could happen. Should I take her to the vet for this? Should I let it be and see? She’s a happy and active tortoise I would just appreciate some opinions if anyone has insights on something like this
Hello and welcome to you. We are here to help.

The first photo looks like someone had the heat lamp too close and it did the typical damage.

The second photo shows damage caused by another ignorant vet giving terrible tortoise advice. The area between the seams is where new growth occurs. That area needs to be able to expand and grow. Glueing that area together is terrible advice, and it has caused your tortoise's carapace scutes to begin growing crooked. When we mark a young tortoise's shell with nail polish or a paint pen for identification purposes, we are very careful not to get the marking material on the growth seams, just for this reason. And you have a vet charging you money to tell you to do it all wrong. Sorry this happened. I don't know if it will correct itself over time or not, but I would complain to this vet and make them aware of their mistake so they don't do it again.

I would rub that area with a Q-tip dipped in cold pressed coconut oil to try to keep it supple and allow it to begin to grow normally. I would not glue that area together again.

Please read this through at least a couple of times, and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:

Justin_

Ohio
Hello and welcome to you. We are here to help.

The first photo looks like someone had the heat lamp too close and it did the typical damage.

The second photo shows damage caused by another ignorant vet giving terrible tortoise advice. The area between the seams is where new growth occurs. That area needs to be able to expand and grow. Glueing that area together is terrible advice, and it has caused your tortoise's carapace scutes to begin growing crooked. When we mark a young tortoise's shell with nail polish or a paint pen for identification purposes, we are very careful not to get the marking material on the growth seams, just for this reason. And you have a vet charging you money to tell you to do it all wrong. Sorry this happened. I don't know if it will correct itself over time or not, but I would complain to this vet and make them aware of their mistake so they don't do it again.

I would rub that area with a Q-tip dipped in cold pressed coconut oil to try to keep it supple and allow it to begin to grow normally. I would not glue that area together again.

Please read this through at least a couple of times, and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:
Thank you! I should’ve came here first if only I would’ve know about this website. I really hope it starts to look better in the time to come