Soaking while healing a crack

kassijo3432

Is it safe to soak my Greek tortoise if he's got a crack in process of healing on his stomach? And how would I keep his crack protected if it's under him like that?....

I also noticed he doesn't really like to soak. He's always trying to crawl out of his bath. The water isn't covering his face at all and the water is slightly warm. And I try to keep him in for about 10 mins but yet he fights to get out. Do I I take him out or leave him in there?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are you checking water temperature with a heat gun or something? You would be surprised how hot it is if not . I think its fine to soak him . It will help clean the cracked shell .

kassijo3432

Oh when I say warm I mean like almost room temperature... But no fun just my finger. Ok cool thank you:)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Get a temperature gun. About 30 to 40 dollars at home improvement stores.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
May we see a picture of the crack, I mean is the crack an actual healing injury? Is the crack open all the way through to the tortoise flesh? If yes, I would not soak this tortoise...that is a point of bacterial infection entry into the tort---I would rather flush the injury site with warm water a few times each day until it heals---this can take a few months to heal up enough to safely soak the tort...

If you are referring to new growth lines as cracks then soaking is fine and the more you do the soaks the more the tort will become use to the event....he may not ever really "like" it but will get use to it...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
If you're tortoise doesn't like to sit still in his bath, try soaking him first thing in the morning before he is warmed up.

kassijo3432

Yes I have some pictures of the crack here. But he's had this crack for a good year and I don't think it's too deep but it's there all the way across his stomach and up his side a little. Here's some pics. ImageUploadedByTortForum1392431103.133572.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392431117.916403.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: