Need indoor enclosure advice

Kaska

I'm getting a 2yr old redfoot. I'm going to build an enclosure but am unsure of a couple things. would 4ftx2ft be big enough and I'm thinking of covering half of the top with glass for humidity and a heat light on the open half. does that sound ok? or should it be bigger? or do I have to cover the top at all? I'd rather leave it open. I've seen lots of designs. I appreciate any advice

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, that's not big enough. That's what I have for a hatchling. 4x8 or 3x6 should be a minimum only for now and that's if it's not too big yet and that's not going to last for too many years.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Congrats on getting a redfoot! I would close it all up, otherwise it will be very hard to maintain the needed 80% humidity.
Next to heat (best to use a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostate) you also need UVB (most redfoot keepers recommend a tube UVB light).

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I have a 3yr old redfoot...she just moved into a 6x2 enclosure...we built it from plywood at our local hardware store..43 bucks..we use topsoil as her substrate..to keep her humidity I ordered from amazon a mini greenhouse...she will need a fogger...you can use a a reg humidifier or by the reptifogger..I got grass going in there for her..wheat and some others I bought from carolinapetsupply..