Enclosed tank questions

Kaska

I'm planning on building a closed chamber for my redfoot. does it have to have ventilation? I'm going to make the top glass but if so how do I mount the che heater and UVB lite? can they sit on top of the glass or do I leave a space on topen open for the lite and heater?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm planning on building a closed chamber for my redfoot. does it have to have ventilation? I'm going to make the top glass but if so how do I mount the che heater and UVB lite? can they sit on top of the glass or do I leave a space on topen open for the lite and heater?
What sort of size enclosure are we talking about, height especially. I wouldn't use glass anywhere where your heat source can get it hot(it could shatter).

Kaska

I'm thinking 3x5 not sure how tall to make it. I'm afraid plexiglass will melt with a heat source. looking for tips on how to do this

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm thinking 3x5 not sure how tall to make it. I'm afraid plexiglass will melt with a heat source. looking for tips on how to do this
Use a combination of wood and plexiglass. The wood can be used to hand lights and heat sources. For example, you could have a strip of wood 1×3ft for heat and light and 2 pieces of plexiglass 2×3ft.

Killerrookie

I recommend just using wood for the top and hanging lights inside the enclosure.
That's what I plan to do and if your tortoise is a hatchling or a little tort I recommend the height should be around 24-30 inches tall.
I'm using vents for my enclosure and they are just ceiling vents.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481139836.336279.jpg
Here's some pics of my build.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481139740.472562.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481139752.679864.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481139778.370153.jpg

Steve_carter

UK
I recommend just using wood for the top and hanging lights inside the enclosure.
That's what I plan to do and if your tortoise is a hatchling or a little tort I recommend the height should be around 24-30 inches tall.
I'm using vents for my enclosure and they are just ceiling vents.
View attachment 194040
Here's some pics of my build.
View attachment 194037
View attachment 194038
View attachment 194039

That's a great looking enclosure. Look forward in seeing the developments in this!