Need identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danceswlabs

5 Year Member
Hello, I am located in central NC. My father found a tortoise today, and we are trying to identify it. I was hoping someone here could help. Below are photos (That is, if I can figure out how to post them!).
attachment
attachment

Thank you. I am looking forward to learning more about tortoises.
Jeany

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How are you trying to do the pictures? I know when I try, it sends me to Gmail.

Danceswlabs

5 Year Member
I am so sorry......this must be "one of those days" for me! Trying again with link to the pics on facebook.

sharer

525957_4133126808558_603632813_n.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The plastron shot is up, but the other one isn't. Have you tried tinypic.com ? Very easy. No accounts or anything. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, there are no native "tortoise" to North Carolina...so this will be fun to peek at the top, so to speak. The bottom sure does look healthy and the chunky dunk legs are great too...wonder if he is a lost tort to someone in the area? Have you checked craigslist/ or placed an ad showing you found a "tortoise" and leave it at that to make sure folks calling have to positively id that beauty...I have a preliminary guess ( :p ) but not sharing till I see the top to confirm my guess....how fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeany:

It sure looks like it might be an older Greek tortoise. I'll send the link for this thread to one of our more knowledgeable of the Mediterranean species members.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It does look like a Testudo of some sort.

What we need is a good clear (larger) shot of the plastron including the tail and a head shot where we can see the scutes immediately above the head as well.

Does the tort have any spurs (horny spikes) on its back legs?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That looks like one old tortoise. The pics are pretty small and it looks like the shell has been worn down a lot. If you could use tinypic and get more close up pics then we might be able to tell what it is.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
It almost looks like a gopher tortoise. Not native to NC but its possible someone could have moved one from Florida illegally.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
jeffbens0n said:
It almost looks like a gopher tortoise. Not native to NC but its possible someone could have moved one from Florida illegally.

Agreed. I also think it's a gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus). Their native range includes parts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina:

3970060.jpg

North Carolina is technically not part of their native range. However, someone may have brought this individual north. It's also not outside the realm of possibility that this species could expand its range due to global climate change ... however, considering how development is threatening them in their current range, I rather doubt it. Probably just a transplant. Neat find. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.