Need help with hedge

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
So in the front of our house we have multiple hedges that have these red little berries, what are these and are they edible? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483053494.838878.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483053506.458631.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sort of looks like "Nellie R. Stevens" a hybrid holly bush:

sg20161219_nellie.JPG

The page I saw also said, "Along with adding beauty to our landscapes and tablescapes, these winter-fruiting hollies also play an important role as a winter food source for wildlife. They also provide habitat for nesting birds."

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
It sort of looks like "Nellie R. Stevens" a hybrid holly bush:

sg20161219_nellie.JPG

The page I saw also said, "Along with adding beauty to our landscapes and tablescapes, these winter-fruiting hollies also play an important role as a winter food source for wildlife. They also provide habitat for nesting birds."
Should I feed these to my box turtle? And a soon to be red foot?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Agree with Yvonne. Ornamental holly, not sure what the tortoisetable says, but I wouldnt feed. In our neck of the woods, all turtles are well tucked away by the time these bushes push out their berries. I have yet to see any other bird, animal or reptile eat these berries.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
What does the tortoise table say about holly berries?
Agree with Yvonne. Ornamental holly, not sure what the tortoisetable says, but I wouldnt feed. In our neck of the woods, all turtles are well tucked away by the time these bushes push out their berries. I have yet to see any other bird, animal or reptile eat these berries.
I believe most holly is poisonous to everything but birds (very strong stomach acid) I agree with Maro2Bear I've never seen anything eat it I wouldn't try it Very pretty though
Thanks for replies! These hedges have been in front of our house forever and I've always wondered if Mrs.Turtle could eat the berries. Guess she can't. Oh well