Need enclosure corrections-severe lung infection

Natasha

5 Year Member
Hello!
Please help me correct my enclosure. I have two Leopards in it, Runkle is in the picture and Charlie is currently at the hospital with severe lung infection, he will be staying about 4 day if his treatment start working. He is on 3rd kind of antibiotics, and we really hope he can pull through.
We had Runkle for about 2 years now, and he did has his fair share of colds when we trying to figure out his setup, but he always bounced back with a week on oral baytril. We got Charlie year into it and I thought that since everything is fine and we got all under control I should not worry too much and he will grow at his pace. Well now, he is 1 old and is only 53 grams, and when i got him he was 44. He used to eat a lot, so he is not bullied by Runkle. In my comparison Runkle was 100 grams and growing when he was 1 year (which I though he was even small). I don't know exactly what got Charlie sick, because Runks is fine, but I suspect it was outside enclosure, where even in 100 degree temperatures the hides were much lower and dirt temperature in hides was in 70F. Doctor thinks that he may already be sick when i got him, and it was lingering for a long time.

Now I want this enclosure perfected, I feel like having wet substrate (which only gets the humidity in 60% range highest) is what contributes to these infections too. I am buying humidifier and will keep substrate pretty much dry. I am very worried about humid hides. On the picture right side is a log where they always hang out, and they pretty much dig down to the bottom of tank and lay there. The large hide in the middle is mostly unused, they don't really care for it. The right lamp is power sun uvb, uva, heat, in the middle 3 CHE, 2 work at night and one is to kick in anytime temps are lowered below threshold, which i have set now to 97F. and the lamp on the left is regular bulb, mostly for lighting and it definitely helps to warm up temps. I know my temps are high, they run in high 90 to low 100 in and i have a probe right near the log hide. So it's pretty much on a cool side. I am planning on reducing temp after using humidifier.
I have few direct questions and ask for any other suggestions on improvements.
1. Super worried about a wet hide. How do you do it?
2. Should I change regular bulb on the right to a second UVB? if yes, which kind would you recommend? ( I know that coils one are no good, and it is all I am seeing, except powersun and long tubes.

PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE THIS PERFECT. Hoping for Charlie's recovery fast!
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20160929_193910.jpg
    IMG_20160929_193910.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 41

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Weird. How can you have such low temp inside the hide while having 90ish temp at outside of the hide.
Maybe the big one give him some illness that he can't fight. That is why people do not recommend pairs inside one enclosure, and people recommend quarantine of several months before add new tort to group.

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hello!
Please help me correct my enclosure. I have two Leopards in it, Runkle is in the picture and Charlie is currently at the hospital with severe lung infection, he will be staying about 4 day if his treatment start working. He is on 3rd kind of antibiotics, and we really hope he can pull through.
We had Runkle for about 2 years now, and he did has his fair share of colds when we trying to figure out his setup, but he always bounced back with a week on oral baytril. We got Charlie year into it and I thought that since everything is fine and we got all under control I should not worry too much and he will grow at his pace. Well now, he is 1 old and is only 53 grams, and when i got him he was 44. He used to eat a lot, so he is not bullied by Runkle. In my comparison Runkle was 100 grams and growing when he was 1 year (which I though he was even small). I don't know exactly what got Charlie sick, because Runks is fine, but I suspect it was outside enclosure, where even in 100 degree temperatures the hides were much lower and dirt temperature in hides was in 70F. Doctor thinks that he may already be sick when i got him, and it was lingering for a long time.

Now I want this enclosure perfected, I feel like having wet substrate (which only gets the humidity in 60% range highest) is what contributes to these infections too. I am buying humidifier and will keep substrate pretty much dry. I am very worried about humid hides. On the picture right side is a log where they always hang out, and they pretty much dig down to the bottom of tank and lay there. The large hide in the middle is mostly unused, they don't really care for it. The right lamp is power sun uvb, uva, heat, in the middle 3 CHE, 2 work at night and one is to kick in anytime temps are lowered below threshold, which i have set now to 97F. and the lamp on the left is regular bulb, mostly for lighting and it definitely helps to warm up temps. I know my temps are high, they run in high 90 to low 100 in and i have a probe right near the log hide. So it's pretty much on a cool side. I am planning on reducing temp after using humidifier.
I have few direct questions and ask for any other suggestions on improvements.
1. Super worried about a wet hide. How do you do it?
2. Should I change regular bulb on the right to a second UVB? if yes, which kind would you recommend? ( I know that coils one are no good, and it is all I am seeing, except powersun and long tubes.

PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE THIS PERFECT. Hoping for Charlie's recovery fast!
Thank you so much!
Dry and warm is better then wet and cold. If you are not able to keep it warm enough don't go humid. Second thing separate those two. They don't do well in pairs and you could missed that e.g. bigger one took advantage of the basking spot and and other one didn't. Even little things like that could contribute to the state he is in now. Did the Vet checked for parasites? They can somethimes mimic infection and be the reason why antibiotics don't work. I keep my fingers crossed for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too hot without higher humidity is not good either. The higher humidity goes along with the higher temps.
Are you reading temps at tort level where they need to be taken at. I would also give them their own enclosure. That is how big, 4x4?
Try to reach temps of 80 with humidity of 80% and a basking spot of 95-100.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please separate these two now.

They are not social. Another tortoise is competition for food and space. There is always one dominant tort and one subordinate tort. The subordinate gets bullied mentally and/or physically and becomes sick and could die.

Charlie is sick. Don't risk this getting any worse or Charlie making Runkle sick.