Need advice on set up for Hermann

Sara price

Hi, I currently have a female Hermann (5 years old) but has been walking around the flat for the past couple of months because viv was thrown out. Long story cut short, I now need to gain advice for a list for set up so that she is fully looked after but I have researched but so many different bulbs and really if possible where would be the best place online to purchase these. Even second hand . Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't want second hand bulbs. I always search Amazon for the cheapest prices. I like mercury vapor bulbs. But the fluorescent UVB Is also used a lot. Just don't by the coil type bulbs. They can damage the torts eyes.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, I currently have a female Hermann (5 years old) but has been walking around the flat for the past couple of months because viv was thrown out. Long story cut short, I now need to gain advice for a list for set up so that she is fully looked after but I have researched but so many different bulbs and really if possible where would be the best place online to purchase these. Even second hand . Thank you

Please post pic(s) of your tort, and take care when she's roaming around the flat. You could accidentally kick her, hurt her, and so on, GOD forbid.

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and the section on "enclosures." Where do you place her when you leave home, go to bed, and so on? if I many ask.

Give her a soak in warm water every day.

And a warm welcome to the forum.

Brayden

You don't want second hand bulbs. I always search Amazon for the cheapest prices. I like mercury vapor bulbs. But the fluorescent UVB Is also used a lot. Just don't by the coil type bulbs. They can damage the torts eyes.
What exactly is a coil type bulb ? Thanks

Brayden

Ok thank you. I have now put a Mercury vapor bulb above the enclosure for my tortoise. This bulb seems much much brighter than either or the previous ones. Should this be something to worry about ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As long as you have it set so the distance from bulb to the top of the tortoise is within the manufactures guidelines it should be fine.
Measure the temperatures at substrate level and, of course, don't leave the lights on at night.