my tort eyes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
That is great!! He must of really liked the soak since he didn't fight it!!
All torts/turtles usually like being soaked!!!
I hope he starts feeling better soon! Keep us posted,ok?
Hang in there :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Mikey_RS said:
Found/got something to work, he soaked for 20 min himself didn't even fight it :) . I'm guessing he drank some of the warm water? :shy: :tort:

Oh good:). Drinking the water is good too.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
luvpetz27 said:
That is great!! He must of really liked the soak since he didn't fight it!!
All torts/turtles usually like being soaked!!!
I hope he starts feeling better soon! Keep us posted,ok?
Hang in there :)

Taking basking temp take, my room currently is 73F. His basking spot, 87F considering its night time. Mm his eyes could still look better.

my room was like 85F? during daytime. varies of course also depending some on what it's like with the weather outside...

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Tortoise Mikey; Michaelangelo (yes I name him after a Ninja Turtle) has ate some of his Romaine Lettuce.

The only uvb bulb I have currently at the very moment is that coil one hadn't turned it on when noticed his eyes (see first post here)....
not sure what to do, I know he needs his uvb but at same time don't want to bug his eyes more since they're not yet better looking?

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Yay :) its so great when things go well! I'd leave it off, the coil bulbs would make it worse, they're bad at the best of time. Are you somewhere warm enough for him to go outside for a bit?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi Mikey
How is he doing today? Any better or worse?
Just wondering how things are going. I hope he is better!!!!

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
BowandWalter said:
Yay :) its so great when things go well! I'd leave it off, the coil bulbs would make it worse, they're bad at the best of time. Are you somewhere warm enough for him to go outside for a bit?

Missouri/Arkansas, my bedroom temp is currently 72-74F at 7PM central time.
Yeah I'm not inclined to turn it on when his eyes don't look right/normal to start with. His eyes looked fine when I first met and got him.

luvpetz27 said:
Hi Mikey
How is he doing today? Any better or worse?
Just wondering how things are going. I hope he is better!!!!

A little sick myself so slept, checked on him just now. he sleepy.
But he did walk a little just now.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
woke him up to show him fresh food which he's now eating the lettuce leaf.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
DSC05350.jpg

pic might not show it but I was looking close at his eyes, has some white spots in the top-rear corners?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
His eyes look a lot better than the first pics. He looks alert and a bit happier. Heat, warm soaks, and a mercury vapor bulb for uvb is what he needs to stay healthy. Now that you can give him soaks everyday, all you need is the right UVb bulb and you'll be set. The bulb is expensive, though (about $50).
I will PM you.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
I haven't seen him eat since awhile ago..
what should the general temps be throughout day and night?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Temps during the day should be no lower than 80 degrees. So, on his cool side, 80 degrees; hot spot 100-105; hide about 90; ambivalent temp (general area) 85 degrees. Check to see if he's comfortable with those temps, and if anything, you may want to adjust it by only 5 degrees.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Temps during the day should be no lower than 80 degrees. So, on his cool side, 80 degrees; - ambivalent temp (general area) 85 degrees. -

Apparently 78-87F is too warm for him. Leaving my bedroom door open the temp gets 70-75. He has his heatlamp available all day/night.

He's been eating these last two days so he seems to be doing better.:)
:tort:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Glad to hear there has been some improvement. You don't actually need heat during the night, as long as your room temp doesn't drop below 60. When I stopped heating my tortoises during the night, they actually became more active.

Mikey_RS said:
sibi said:
Temps during the day should be no lower than 80 degrees. So, on his cool side, 80 degrees; - ambivalent temp (general area) 85 degrees. -

Apparently 78-87F is too warm for him. Leaving my bedroom door open the temp gets 70-75. He has his heatlamp available all day/night.

He's been eating these last two days so he seems to be doing better.:)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It's probably one or more of the following problems:

1) Dehydrated
Remedies:
- Provide moist substrate like coco coir, cypress mulch, and/or pure soil.
- Provide shallow dish for drinking and bathing.
- Feed moist plants rinsed in warm water.
- Bathe as often as once a day if needed.

2) Chilled
Remedies:
- Use thermometers to monitor temperatures.
- Daytime ambient temperatures in the 70s to low 80s.
- Daytime basking temperature from 95-100*F.
- Nighttime ambient temperatures in the 60s to 70s.

3) Malnourished
Xerophthalmia due to hypovitaminosis A, i.e. dry eyes from not getting enough beta carotene (which is converted to vitamin A in the body)
Remedies:
- Provide fresh greens and grated carrots.
- Bathe in warm carrot baby foot.
- Add a vitamin and mineral supplement powder.
- Use beta carotene and vitamin A drops. These are both dropped directly into the eyes, as well as sprinkled onto the food so that the tortoise will ingest them.

Try a combination of these, and your tortoise should start perking up very soon! :)

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
It's probably one or more of the following problems:
---
--
--

Try a combination of these, and your tortoise should start perking up very soon! :)
Thanks for big info post, and as far as I can tell the temp doesn't really get below 70.5F. :) (save for that one time perhaps...? when it also rained and was strong windy)

Checked on him just a bit ago, grumpy :p . Otherwise he's been doing better eating his lettuce and some pellet food.:shy:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Oops, meant to write "warm carrot baby food," not "foot." Glad the message was helpful anyway.

Often, when turtles have eyes that are swollen shut, it's because they are too dry, too cold, and/or don't have enough beta carotene / vitamin A in their system. So, when you see that, it's good and easy to tackle all three causes at once.

Glad your little guy is feeling better. Keep up the good work, and make sure his environment stays healthy for him. :)

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Small update, got bigger enclosure built now it just needs it's substrate and stuff. Getting there though.

Had to dig him out to show him lettuce, sure he hissed (not as grumpy) but when he saw the lettuce he went right to eating it. :)
he still eating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.