my tort eyes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Not sure just know he's not himself right now, feels cold yet keeps staying in the corners farthest away from heat.
One time I picked him up to check on him he opened his right eye but it kinda like watery? when he closed it there was some stuff (sorry no pic then). Left eye wasn't really open,...

I picked him up again to get a picture as best I could, put him by his water he looked at it like he wanted drink but didn't drink nor he eating the Kale & Romaine Lettuce.

DSC05264.jpg

(if would like the higher resolution pic let me know)
Actually, now that I posting his hissing doesn't sound right either, I've heard his good hisses before...
:(

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Have you triple checked all his temps and humidity level? Is it just the pic or are his eyes kinda sunken in?

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Thalatte said:
Have you triple checked all his temps and humidity level? Is it just the pic or are his eyes kinda sunken in?

I don't have a way of checking temps yet...:tort:

All I know is he's either unhappy or not feeling good. :(

Here, compare above pic with this 3-4 days before pic:
DSC05253.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Not knowing your temps is the first problem.

Incorrect temperatures are common problems so you need to know yours so you can see if they are right or wrong and adjust as necessary.
A temperature gun can be bought for $20 or so
Thermometer probes are also inexpensive...
Please go get something.

The stick on thermometers are not a good choice.

And you are right...a tortoise in the wrong temperature will be unhappy and not feeling good...

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Please go get something.

If I had more money... Then I could get it sooner. Amazon had/has cheap one, but I off just ONE dollar and thats NOT including shipping...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Mikey_RS said:
Team Gomberg said:
Please go get something.

If I had more money... Then I could get it sooner. Amazon had/has cheap one, but I off just ONE dollar and thats NOT including shipping...

Do you have a Home Depot? I bought my Ryobi, point and shoot thermometer there.

Have you tried soaking your tort in warm water maybe even placing the "bath" under the basking light to make sure the temp does not drop. This is the first thing I do when any of my tort's are acting funny. Your tort may take some big long drinks or poop in it's soak and then perk right up. You may want to add an aquarium thermometer to your thermometer list. That way you can be sure your water is not too hot or cold :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The eyes look a little sunken in to me. He probably could use a good warm soak every day for about a week. Put him in a tub of warm water that comes up to the bridge (where the top meets the bottom) and just leave him there for about 20 minutes. Keep checking on him to be sure he doesn't flip.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
I got some pics of his eyes just now, however camera battery needs a recharge. I'll upload ASAP though.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
The Temp in my room is/was 82F,

DSC05267.jpg

DSC05270.jpg

his enclosure just got sprinkled with water, he moving around now

Thalatte

5 Year Member
You should still soak him. And if there is a Walmart near ou you can pick up a digital thermometer with a probe for $6-20 depending I. How complicated you want. Then the probe goes on the floor of the basking site and the unit goes on the cool side. This gives you all the info needed.
I buy the AcuRite brand with a wire probe for $12 and I love them.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
What kind of basking light are you using?
ExoTerra 60W Daytime heat lamp multi-purpose.

Thalatte said:
You should still soak him.
I buy the AcuRite brand with a wire probe for $12 and I love them.
nothing big enough to hold water, bathroom sink doesn't have a plug. Nevermind actually getting hot water from the tap to make warm water. And mom don't want me wasting water; sometimes have to let the water run for a few before you get it; hot/warm water :rolleyes: .

EDIT: We had an AcuRite temp thingy already.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Mikey_RS said:
ExoTerra 60W Daytime heat lamp multi-purpose.

nothing big enough to hold water, bathroom sink doesn't have a plug. Nevermind actually getting hot water from the tap to make warm water. And mom don't want me wasting water; sometimes have to let the water run for a few before you get it; hot/warm water :rolleyes: .

EDIT: We had an AcuRite temp thingy already.

It's important for your tort to get better, sorry I'm not sure how old you are but maybe you should let your mom look at the forum to see that it is important and that its not. Wasting water (please don't take that the wrong way, I know sometimes things come across wrong when writing over the net but I mean this in a helpful positive way)
If you have to run water for ages to get it warm you could just use a kettle and pour some water into a Tupperware box or anything with a depth and mix it with cold water, that's what I do :)

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
If you have a kettle you could boil some water and then mix it with cold water from the tap until you had nice warm water. That way you don't waste any.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You may want to try to find something big enough. It would help him. Even a big bowl would work! Everyone is trying to help you. Can you get something from a neighbor or buy a cheap pan or bowl??

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
An empty ice cream bucket/container, a tote, a mixing bowl, an empty spring mix bin, almost anything from the recycling bin. If you don't have any of those shove something like a wash cloth in the sink hole, it won't be water tight but it is better then nothing. You should invest in a soaking dish, even older torts appreciate being soaked. Sickly older torts especially.

Mikey_RS

5 Year Member
Found/got something to work, he soaked for 20 min himself didn't even fight it :) . I'm guessing he drank some of the warm water? :shy: :tort:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
A Tupperware container? Your bathroom or kitchen sink as long as it can be cleaned out afterward and has no chemicals in it. A large salad bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.