My spotless South African pardalis

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
This past winter I decided to purchase a "spotless" p.pardalis from ATC since I knew it was pure p.pardalis despite it lacking the usual double dot pattern for that subspecies. I was very curious to see how it grew out compared to my others.

Although we had a bad incident with ants this past winter in my old outside set up that badly set back it's health(ants almost killed it), it began to rebound slowly and hasImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417383975.584562.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417383989.820804.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417384003.055740.jpg really taken off as off late.

I figured I would share some recent photos of the beauty. Any comments or opinions are welcomed.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417383912.571252.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad the ants didn't do him in. Like Heather, glad you know it, looks like a Bab to me.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yeh Heather I had a horrific incident last winter that was so bad I was to depressed to post about it. It had rained for several days strait and 5 million fire ants found my set up in my shed and decided to set up shop in it. I lost two of my favorite babies as was bummed for quite some time. I've made some major changes since that will insure it won't happen again.

Anyhow

Andy from ATC usually has a handful of unusual South African leopards every year out of the many dozen normal ones he acquires. So I don't doubt it's a true p.pardalis if Andy says so. It's extremely similar to my others only with a different shell pattern.

Although I purchased this other one as a hatchling p.pardalis, now that it's grown some I suspect it to he a babcocki mix. It's beautiful no doubt but I see some differences that have me suspicious. But hey I could be wrong on both lolImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417397021.756731.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417397051.904686.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417397066.070577.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so sorry about the ones you lost. You do know though, we are here to help support you through those kinds of times. Us that know you, have all the confidence that had you known sooner, you would have reacted sooner, no doubt you do good by your torts. Again, so sorry. And hey, no matter what kind they are, of course they are beautiful.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
oh man Byron...I feel awful just reading about that! I'm so sorry...

For the record, I don't doubt it's a p.p. if you say it is.. ;) just commenting on the look is all.
Levi is a mutt with some p.p. qualities. Especially with the highly speckled neck, just like on yours!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I know you guys would have supported me and it's not like I was afraid of judgment of any kind. It just made me so sick to my stomach that I wanted to take a break until I was thankful again for the other amazing torts I own. It was literally my two babies I was most excited about so it was just salt to the wound. :/

But it's all part of live and learn. And with torts there is always something new to learn ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Without you telling me so, I will never would guessed this is a PP.

The one you said isn't growing much also very pretty. very smooth. I like it! ! !

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Those first 3 photos look like a completely different tortoise! There's white in those but not the last one. Beautiful baby :)
She was dark as a baby but has some decent white growth now. Another black band is starting to show now

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Without you telling me so, I will never would guessed this is a PP.

The one you said isn't growing much also very pretty. very smooth. I like it! ! !

It takes a really trained eye to suspect it. The flatter slightly elongated shape, skin freckles, head shape, and bold personality all point toward p.pardalis.

The bottom one pictured is growing quite well actually.
It was the top tortoise(spotless p.pardalis) pictured that had a big delay in growth due to the giant ant attack that almost killed it. But now the growth is coming in nice and steady :)

meg337

I just want to really thank you for sharing your difficult experience with the horrific ants. We have had so many ants making houses in our baby sulcata pens, now we use baby swimming pools. I didn't actually believe my husband when he would warn me that the ants will eat those babies alive. By you sharing this experience with all of us tortoise lovers that are searching the Internet for everything to learn about our adored tortoises, you just saved so many baby torts life in the future!