My russian tortoise always sticks his tail into soil and humping all the time?

D3sirable

This might sound weird but my 2.5 years old RT (bought it 3 months ago) is sticking his tail into the soil often and humping it very often, looks like it's mating with the soil or something like that. Is it normal and why is it happening?

It's not pooing or anything. Also it became very inactive lately, however it is still eating a lot everyday. I remember when I just bought it, it used to walk around nonstop all the time for hours and scratching edge of his place. And now it just sits there all day doing nothing, and often sleeps. Nothing has changed since I've had him.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Can you show us a picture if his enclosure and talk about the heating you do or don't use.
Where did you get him?
A picture of him would also be good.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If he is still eating I wouldn't worry to much. It could just be that at first he was exploring his new area, now he's used to it. As far as the humping the dirt part, I've seen some of my males do that especially after a good soaking. I wonder if they are sent marking their territory?

— Gus

D3sirable

Thanks for your replies. I will take some pictures in the coming days when I get a better camera and post here :)