Why is my Russian ramming his sticks ?

acrowe

5 Year Member
Dose anyone know why my male Russian keeps ramming all his sticks in his enclosure? Turvy is 7yrs old and I have had him of three years now.. He lives mainly indoors in a tortoise table. I have taken all his sticks away , because I am afraid he is going to hurt himself

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you?

Can we see a pic of the enclosure? Sounds like possible breeding/dominance behavior.

What sort of "sticks" are you using in his enclosure?

acrowe

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390590857.490930.jpg

I live in Missouri.. Most of the sticks in the enclosure I have pick up walks .. He usually loved them! Smelling them for days and laying on them.. This is the first time I have ever seen him act like this.. I do have another male in a enclosure nearby, but they have been by each other for about a year now with no problem...

I did take a video of him but can't figure out how to load it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
acrowe said:
Dose anyone know why my male Russian keeps ramming all his sticks in his enclosure? Turvy is 7yrs old and I have had him of three years now.. He lives mainly indoors in a tortoise table. I have taken all his sticks away , because I am afraid he is going to hurt himself

Sounds like typical horny male behavior to me... I have a Redfoot who gets this way every so often. He rams everything in his path, then "loves" everything in his path ...making "love" noises at all hours of the day and night!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Why is my Russian ramming his sticks ?

Watsonpartyof4 said:
acrowe said:

Sounds like typical horny male behavior to me... I have a Redfoot who gets this way every so often. He rams everything in his path, then "loves" everything in his path ...making "love" noises at all hours of the day and night!

Thats funny! !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Watsonpartyof4 said:
acrowe said:

Is only red foots does that? I know they are more aggressive Tortoise......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
acrowe said:

I live in Missouri.. Most of the sticks in the enclosure I have pick up walks .. He usually loved them! Smelling them for days and laying on them.. This is the first time I have ever seen him act like this.. I do have another male in a enclosure nearby, but they have been by each other for about a year now with no problem...

My best guess is that you have an amorous tortoise who can't find a suitable mate in his territory, so he's taking his frustration out on inanimate objects.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any reason to remove his sticks. I guess make sure there are no sharp ends to poke himself on...

acrowe

5 Year Member
I gave all his sticks back to him today and he is back to his old self ,just sniffing and laying on them:)