Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The last two pictures in my original post were what my new rain forest section looked like last week. In fact, I believe I took this picture of that section a couple weeks ago:

TheGreatEscape-7.jpg

Here's what it looks like this evening:

newrainforest-1.jpg

Before, you couldn't see any dirt. Now its almost all eaten up. I had planted some turnips so they could eat the greens, but here's what the turnips look like now:

newrainforest-2.jpg

This is VicMorgan eating that weed that has a banana-like name next to the mallow bush:

newrainforest-3.jpg

This is what I had to do to protect the young banana tree:

newrainforest-6.jpg

And here's a couple shots of what damage the tortoises have done to first of all a young pony tail palm and next a young fig tree:

newrainforest-4.jpg

newrainforest-5.jpg

I should add that the bark on both those trees is very hard and the tortoises have no teeth!

This is what they usually do when not eating:

newrainforest-7.jpg

That's a cement mixing tub on the left and a garbage toter lid on the right.

I also have an orange tree, another fig tree, several rose of sharon trees and several shrubs in the new rain forest part.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a pony tail palm in my house. Living in New York, I never saw one outside. They must get very big there. I can't believe how those guys mow through everything. I'm guessing they could do a lot of damage if they wanted to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isa said:
Wow Yvonne, they ate everything!

Yes, but on the UP side, I haven't had to feed them in over a week!!

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Normally they would be in three different pens: one pen for the six intergrades, one pen for the Manouria emys emys (Asian brown) and one pen for the Manouria emys phayrei (Asian black). But I'm re-building their house, and had to tear down the fences between the pens to accommodate the new shed, so all 12 of them are together and eating everything in sight!! I'm now adding the insulation and plywood to the exterior walls of the shed, then I'll be ready to re-fence the pens. I'm taking pictures, so when its all finished I'll add a new section for the pictures.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.