My new tortoise

toogss

Location (City and/or State)
Ammanford
Hi guys and girls I just took ownership of my new tortoise his name sheldon iv done loads of research search but any tips will be great full on food and stuff and can anyone tell me if he look healthy I worry about pyramiding

20160924_135904.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you saying that the tortoise's name is "Ivory", or do you mean it is an ivory type tortoise?

Provide a bit of moisture under the top layer of substrate, and you don't have to worry about pyramiding. When we talk pyramiding, it's mostly the sulcatas and leopards - maybe stars. The testudos don't pyramid unless you provide pretty awful conditions. Also, pyramiding happens during the first year of a tortoise's life. It looks like you have an older tortoise.

toogss

Ammanford
Are you saying that the tortoise's name is "Ivory", or do you mean it is an ivory type tortoise?

Provide a bit of moisture under the top layer of substrate, and you don't have to worry about pyramiding. When we talk pyramiding, it's mostly the sulcatas and leopards - maybe stars. The testudos don't pyramid unless you provide pretty awful conditions. Also, pyramiding happens during the first year of a tortoise's life. It looks like you have an older tortoise.

Oh I see don't know why it say ivory lol his name Sheldon is there any commun I'llness in this type

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi guys and girls I just took ownership of my new tortoise ivory done loads of research search but any tips will be great full on food and stuff and can anyone tell me if he look healthy I worry about pyramiding

View attachment 187701
Hello and welcome.

Is that Ammanford, South Wales you're from? My uncle lives there :)

Your Hermann's diet is leafy greens. Preferably picked from pesticide and chemical fertiliser free outdoors rather than from a shop, though that can be a challenge in a UK winter and many owners supplement with pellets like Komodo when greens are scarce.

Your tort can't digest sugars properly- they cause digestive and kidney problems- so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all. No banana as it's too sugary.

A tiny pinch of calcium powder on food three times a week should be the only supplement you need. A cuttlebone in the enclosure is good for beak maintenance.

These guides were written by species experts on TFO who are working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

I recommend that you read them. They tell you how to avoid pyramidding by keeping humidity levels raised.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of baby Testudo, including Hermann's
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/