Multiple Redfoots

baldegale

so i have a 5 year old redfoot, id say hes about 5-6 inches? ill measure when i get home. but i have a 4x8' enclosure right now and i wanna get another. if i remember correctly he is a male so i was wondering what size i should get and if i should get a male or a female

baldegale

also- was just reading the shell rot thread and im only using pretty damp coco coir. would it be a good idea to do a top layer of organic top soil to let dry out as the coco coir stays wet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is not big enough to have more then one tort in it except hatchlings. However, not once they are a year or two old. Also, torts should not be kept in pairs. One can bully the other to illness or death. And a one male to one female, won't work because the female will get pestered to illness or death. RF are probably one of the more less aggressive species, so you might get away with two females, but they still need a bigger enclosure.
@ZEROPILOT csn help further with this, along with @Anyfoot

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
A 4x8 foot enclosure won't be big enough for another redfoot, that's the minimum size for one, but if you have the space and want another you can set up a separate enclosure and do that. (You will need 2 enclosures for the quarantine process anyway. I keep mine separate for 90 days and 2 clean parasite tests.

Also, tortoises don't do well in pairs, especially if you have a male. My males harass the females incessantly if I need to put them together in a small space (we had a temp enclosure while moving and it was like a tortoise orgy in there) - you can try for a trio if you can get a male and 2 females, but nnothing is guaranteed. 4 of my 6 do really well together and I have 2 others who need to be kept solo.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
also- was just reading the shell rot thread and im only using pretty damp coco coir. would it be a good idea to do a top layer of organic top soil to let dry out as the coco coir stays wet?
I use moist coir and I've never had shell rot yet with redfoots. Cover half the enclosure with orchid bark too, this will allow your tort access to a drier area as well as a moist area to dig into.

baldegale

well this is disappointing considering literally one 4x8' enclosure is the maximum i have it literally takes up a quarter of my bedroom and i have nowhere else to put another one. anyways, at least i got my substrate question answered. thanks for the input.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The deal with Redfoots and keeping them in groups is all about space.
I agree with the above that you should not attempt to ad more tortoises untill you have the room.
Then, a male with 2 or more females usually work.
I have 2 males(Only 1 is sexually mature) with 5 females in about 400 square feet with multiple hides, barriers and houses. It's on the small side and is currently being added on to.
I also agree that multiple females also are easier than having any males because of some males being so very sexually aggressive.
Are you sure that you have a male?
I have kept female pairs together before that were still small.

Last edited:

baldegale

even if i did have a female, i dont have enough room or money really for a bigger tank once they get to size, one 4x8' enclosure is about my max

baldegale

Is there any chance of you being able to eventually keep tortoises outdoors?
nah i live in an apartment, ill probably be moving out within a year or two but even then just into another apartment. but being by myself i wanna get a 2 bedroom and have a reptile room cause i also have a bearded dragon and want a tegu.