Mulch and Bark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There used to be about 40 acres of mature almond trees across the street from me. These trees were there when I moved here almost 30 years ago, so MATURE! Probably a foot and a half or two feet diameter trunks.

First of all a heavy duty Cat pushes the trees over. The Cat is so powerful that the tree just pops up out of the ground, roots and all. Then another piece of equipment comes along and piles all the trees up into piles. When that's done, Some sort of equipment with a big grabber type fork on the front reaches into the pile of trees and grabs a big mouthful and swivels around to another large Cat with a conveyer belt on it. The belt moves the trees into the jaws of a giant shredder. Can you imagine the power of that thing that it's able to crunch up mature trees into sawdust? Which is then spit out into a pile.

Whatever was in that grove of trees is now shredded up into piles of mulch. Might have been toxic weeds, plastic bottles, anything the wind had carried into the field along with all the almond trees.

The (for the sake of ease of telling, I'll refer to them all as 'tractors') tractor on the left is grabbing a bite of trees to swing over to the conveyer belt.

mulch a.jpg

The 'tractor' on the right has the conveyor belt that 'conveys' the trees into the maw to be shredded. THis happens in an instant! and you don't hear any slowing down of the motor as it works to shred giant tree trunks. You can see the finished product being spewed out into a pile on the right side of the 'tractor' on the right:

mulch b.jpg

This is so interesting to me. I've spent many hours standing on my little step stool looking over the fence at what's involved in widening my street. I love watching 'tractors' do their jobs.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Up here, they knocked down the almond trees with an excavator, pile them into piles and burn them. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know why, but it seems like they have to change out the orchards somewhat regularly.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are they building something, or is it just part of road widening?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are they building something, or is it just part of road widening?
The City plan is for it to be housing, so a developer will buy it and subdivide.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
At least they widened the street before building the houses