Mr. George's Thread

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest Florida
Hello! I'm creating this thread for Mr. George, the young male sulcata tortoise appearing in the photo below. Sibi and I will be taking care of Mr. George for some time while his "mom" is away. This thread will allow us to share Mr. George's progress and growth with mom and others.

OK, Sibi, now that I've started this thread, it's time for you to take over and post, post, post! :)

IMG_0551_11-21-2015.JPG

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Mr. George is a three year old sulcata, and I first met him and his mom about 2 years ago via our Vet. At that time, Mr. George weighed less than a pound and showed signs of MBD. Along with our Vet., I met with Carly and gave her some tips on how to stop the MBD and stimulate growth. Since then, Mr. George has grown evenly and his shell is much stronger. When I received a call from Carly that her husband was to be reassigned in Japan for 4 years, and that she wanted to know if I knew anyone good to take him in, I offered to care for him.
He weighed about 5 pounds when I got him three weeks ago, and he has definitely grown since. I haven't weighed him yet, but he has growth lines now. His shell is beautiful, in part, cause Carly made sure he was misted often. He does show signs of slight pyramiding, but I hope as he grows, this would not expand and become more noticeable. He sleeps in a 40 gal. terrarium where he has a MVB, CHE, and fogger. His environment puts out 80-90 degree heat and 80% humidity. As soon as I get up every morning. I soak him, feed him and put him outside (if temps are above 70 degrees) with the rest of my sullies.
Mr. George is quite a fighter, though. In his tiny size, compared to Beasty Boy and Honey Boy, he tries to attack them. For this reason and for his own safety, he is put in Baby Runt's outdoor pen until I can get Baby Runt her own shed. Baby Runt can't really hurt him since she can't stretch out her neck to bite and he can't budge her 40+ weight. They've gotten used to each other and simply stay close to each other. I watch them constantly, and sometimes, move Mr. George inside the shed when he gets a bit too much to handle. Other than that, all is well at the tortoise farm, LOL

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
More pics of Mr. George. Oops, I've got to download them from my camera. Hold on
Nice looking tort you got there:)

I have him on loan for 4 years. Imagine what his mom will do when she sees her baby go from 5 lbs. to 50+ in 4 years. That's what I predict his growth will be then. I told them before they left for Japan to save money to build an insulated shed for him.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Mr. George is very handsome!!
I will follow is progress.
That is very sweet of you to care for him for four years!!

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Here's Mr. George enjoying some time in the sun yesterday.

Attachments

• WP_20160228_16_17_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160228_16_17_11_Pro.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 31

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Glad he got a chance to get out , he sure seems to be enjoying it !
m1212.gif

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
LI love that relaxed look on his face! He's been a real joy so far. Gosh, I'm in love with him; I know it's gonna be tough to give him back to his mommy in about 4 years ;(WP_20160226_14_01_30_Pro.jpgWP_20160226_14_00_32_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160226_14_01_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160226_14_01_30_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • WP_20160226_14_01_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160226_14_01_05_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
As of today, Mr. George now has his very own outdoor pen. I finished building the wall this afternoon. It has both sunny and shady areas, with lots of nice green grass to munch on. Sibi or I will post photos soon.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Here's part of Mr. George's pen that includes his shady spot.

WP_20160502_002_05-02-2016.jpg
Here's a long view of his pen. Sibi wants me to expand it to provide him with more room. We're planning to install a gate for easy access without having to step over the wall. I need to plant more grass, too, as the rye grass we planted last Fall is starting to die.

WP_20160502_001_05-02-2016.jpg