The Mr T Experience

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Yes i find it quite funny too. Afterall, he should know that you are around and he is safe, i think the adaptation should take less than a week but well can't really understand what he is shy about.

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
765g. -5g.

Ironically he is starting to get a little more active again, but he still lost a few grams. He isn't eating much, just picking at his food. I think he was just spooked by the major change of being moved to a new open enclosure, and hopefully he will start to come out of hiding more and get active again and start eating.

With some warm 60 degree weather in Michigan I let the tortoises all into the yard for a short time for their first sunshine in months. With no actual pens at the new house yet it was kind of hectic and stress inducing for me, but we got through it without losing a single tortoise. Mr T and Lilly Red Foot didn't move far and both stayed in a small area. The two big sulcatas and the russian gave me a work out and a half though.

IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
That last photo.. omg!!!! Best ever!!!

Anyway i think Toro will lost his weight too today compare to last week. Let's see.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Very much agree!!! Keep it for next year @saginawhxc
I think i'm gonna take it for my tablet's wallpaper now if it is ok?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
You should take pics of your tortoises when they are playing outside and post it here. Pics where we can see whole of them

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
810g.

Back on track and back to eating and growing. I wasn't really worried, but it's still a relief to see him get back on track. I'm going to chalk it up to being freaked out about the major enclosure change.

IMG_0964.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
What a good gain.
Mr. T a bit shy, isn't he? He likes to partly tuck in like that.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
He is extremely shy. If I'm sneaky I can catch him walking about, but if he knows someone is there he tucks in and waits.

Soaking is darn near the only time I see him stretch out. He eats his food, and I have to clean out his water and dust off his basking rock, so I know he moves around. I just rarely see him do it.

The twins are really outgoing though. I should share an update on how they are doing. Now that it's spring I really would like to rehome one of them if I can find a good place for one to go.

My red foot is EXTREMELY outgoing. She wants to be in the middle of everything. Always has to check out what is going on and who is in the room.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
This is a decently typical sulcata meal around my house.

I start with a nice bed of dry hay (50/50 timothy and orchard), add a handful of greens, then a bowl of rehydrated pure hay pellets (45% timothy, 45% orchard, 10% alfalfa), and then top it off with just a couple pellets each of Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland.

Of course Mr T gets less of this, but still the same thing.

Attachments

• 1491004711524.jpg
    1491004711524.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1491004720797.jpg
    1491004720797.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 25

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
952g.

Mr T has been starting to get little bits of real sunshine again.

Still acting super shy. I'm a little disappointed actually. I know he is a tortoise, and I'm not looking for him to be my best friend, but I wish he wasn't quite so shy.

Attachments

• 1492046854711.jpg
    1492046854711.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 19

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I did rehome one of my fosters though. I really hope I sent him to a good home.

He has been gone a week, but yet Penelope still "looks" for him every single day at dinner time.

I'm still without a scale, I wish I could have weighed him before sending him on. I know he was vaguely close to doubling in size in the 8 months I had him.

Attachments

• 1492047046068.jpg
    1492047046068.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Okay, so apparently my scale is busted and I need a new one. Every single time I turn the scale on or off I get a drastically different reading. So no weight updates till I get a new one.

He has a small temporary pen set up so he can spend his days outside, and I'm busy building the new tortoise shed and tort yard. When it's done he will have about 64' square foot of heated indoor space, and a couple hundred square feet of yard fenced off for him.

Attachments

• 1496199712774.jpg
    1496199712774.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 15