Meet Tuck

blubrd12

Please meet my new Hermann Tuck. He is about 8-9 weeks, 44mm long and weighs 19.9 grams. I am not by any means the best picture taker but wanted people to get a look to make sure he at least 'looks' healthy. We have a vet appt in 3 weeks and I'm
Paranoid lol! Anyways here he is. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414612872.300889.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414612889.449841.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414612900.134380.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414612911.249803.jpg

Is there a way to attach video?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Welcome to TFO! He IS cute :D
Yes, I know there is! But unfortunately, I've only ever attached pictures! Hopefully one of the many, more educated members of TFO's video workings will help you :D
He looks great, and he looks healthy! (which is a little bit of a loose term, but he looks great) His beak is fine, his eyes looks okay, :)
I think he looks just a little dry, though (IMHO!!) :confused: How often do you soak him? Does he have access to a dish? How's the enclosure humidity? Maybe just me, he might just be shedding, but he little cutie, and he looks like you're doing a great job!

blubrd12

I soak twice a day right now. For 10-15 mins. I put the water up to the bottom of his shell. His humidity is 60-80% depending on when I've sprayed. Suggestions to keep the humidity higher? I've never seen him urinate but I have seen poop and it is firm but moist if that makes sense.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks very cute. Love that first pic, grumpy face. Of course it's upto you, however, I have never taken my tortoises to the vet, and I never will, unless something is wrong with them. A lot of reptile vets really don't know a lot about tortoises. Just something to think about.

blubrd12

He looks very cute. Love that first pic, grumpy face. Of course it's upto you, however, I have never taken my tortoises to the vet, and I never will, unless something is wrong with them. A lot of reptile vets really don't know a lot about tortoises. Just something to think about.
This is something I am still thinking about and why my appt is weeks away. I've only taken my snake to the vet once in the 8 years I've owned her (due to weight loss) but this is because I feel much more confident in the snake raising arena vs. tortoise raising. I think the vet is more to reassure me. But maybe it will just cause more stress?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your vet is likely to know no more than you do. Do you really want to pay for a visit for nothing? ( My apologies to the vets who are awesome. ) I've brought healthy animals in to my vet every now and again so he can have the pleasure of seeing one that isn't sick, but I've piggy backed that onto a needed visit by another one. I don't feel inclined to pay for the privilege of educating my vet.