New simple tort table

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
My little RF (estimated age 9 mons) hated his 30 gal tank even with the sides covered in paper. (Previously we had been told a tank would be perfect.) It was too tall to maintain temp and humidity as well. Using a table and old bookcase (30"x48") found in a resale shop, this was put together for under $50. The table was needed to have him high enough to keep away from the dogs. (The table cloth hides the misc equip under the table!) Currently I have a mixing tub from Lowes 2'x3' lining the book case for ease in cleaning and water proofing. For growth I can remove the tub and line the case which would give him the full 4' x 2.5'. The "track" lighting is PVC pipe. He seems much happier and is more active. I am open to suggestions if you can offer improvements. :D
playpen2.jpg

playpen3.jpg

climbing4betterview.jpg

yumdandelion.jpg

betterbutneedsmoreplants.jpg

tablewithplants.jpg

aboveview.jpg

leftside.jpg

eatininnewhome.jpg

this is my first time posting pics. let me know if you can't view.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
What a great job. I did the same thing with the lights. If you find they are too close to the top of substrate [12 to 18" is good distance] you can remove the clamp and do a loop and tie directaly to the pvc poll.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well he sure does look happier to me. :D Did you say he's a Redfoot it's hard to tell in the pictures. The substrate to me looks a little dry, but that could just be the pictures only you know how damp it is. I know that you have the heat on the pipe. On mine I was afraid that they would slip off onto the tortoise or enclosure itself and cause a fire so I took some wire and wrapped it through the opening of the clamp and tied it off so that it couldn't slip off. I'll try to find a picture so it will explain it better to you.

LindaF

5 Year Member
@Annieski - thanks for your input about the lights being 12-18" from substrate. I'm still playing around with the positioning and monitoring temps etc. LOL our dog is named Libby too - small world

@Candy - I would welcome your pics. He is a little red foot. You are right it was too dry and the lights made it look even drier. We had some shell fungus and now I worry about it being too wet. I just gave it a good misting :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've done a nice job on the habitat and the light stand. But I think your lights are an accident waiting to happen. You can either thread the PVC through the loop of the clamp, or like Annieski said, remove the clamp part of the fixture and tie the cord around the PVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.