Meet Dino - my first sulcata - question for the experts

Kkwoodson

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello. First time tortoise owner so looking for advice on my less than a year old tortoise. His shell has darkened a ton. I am wondering if any mine can confirm that this is normal. Attached are two photos, I’m getting mixed information on the internet. I already know I need to increase the humidity of his cage. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6174.jpeg
    IMG_6174.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good, perfectly normal.
Get him in a closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity and do not use hay for a substrate or food at this age. If he already eats it that's good, but likely las babies they don't eat it and should be soaked if fed
Orchid or fir bark should be the substrate or coconut coir or combo of both.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
He's adorable. Cracks me up when I see their little underbellies (plastron). This is a baby pic of my rescue. Out of the three pictures I got, this age....Screenshot_20240114-214142_Snapchat.jpg was the darkest one. Looks about the same age as yours maybe? I've seen darker and lighter.

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Kkwoodson

Colorado
Looks good, perfectly normal.
Get him in a closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity and do not use hay for a substrate or food at this age. If he already eats it that's good, but likely las babies they don't eat it and should be soaked if fed
Orchid or fir bark should be the substrate or coconut coir or combo of both.
OMG Thank you for answering, wow, I really appreciate help from the experts and this community!
Okay, so in regards to humidity should I buy something like this? https://a.co/d/fmGLKNu

We have a smaller enclosure and plan to do a bigger one as soon as the weather warms up. He seems happy as he comes out everyday, eats from my hand, and gets to roam outside of his enclosure 1-2 times per day. He's a good dude, he even lets us rub noses. I am so in love and just want the best for him.

I live in Colorado so if you have any help or tips on humidity knowing that we live in a dry yet cold state, lmk. I plan on building him the outdoor pen of his dreams come April or May.

Kkwoodson

Colorado
Thank you Yvonne!
Welcome. You will need to keep the humidity high for the little guy to ensure severe health issues do not happen.
I am getting a themometer to measure humidity and then should I get a reptile humidifier? I have a smaller enclosure for now but plan to make him a badass outdoor area as we have ten acres and native grasses. Any tips on humidity and diet are welcomed!

Kkwoodson

Colorado
He's adorable. Cracks me up when I see their little underbellies (plastron). This is a baby pic of my rescue. Out of the three pictures I got, this age....View attachment 367966 was the darkest one. Looks about the same age as yours maybe? I've seen darker and lighter.

Welcome to the forum 🙂
Good to know! I saw some really light sulcatas and thought, uh oh, am I doing something wrong! but sounds like its all good.

Kkwoodson

Colorado
Welcome. You will need to keep the humidity high for the little guy to ensure severe health issues do not happen.
I know, we live in an ultra dry area, he is in a tank and I know you aren't suppose to put them in a glass enclosure so for now, I put colored paper to line the bottom of his tank so that he doesn't get stressed. The lady at the pet store sold me all this, so I am glad I did research and am making it the best I can until I can upgrade to an outdoor area. Any other suggestions on products to get are welcomed!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No humidifier or misters
Also, do not let him roam your floors. Too cold and dangerous.
He needs a closed chamber, check out getting one like in the pic I posted. This will give you a good environment for humidity and to hold temps steady
They are meant to be used indoors and outside. So once your little one is old/big enough, over 10 inches, to live outside 24/7 in summer, you can use the greenhouse to grow food or as a warmer area for your tortoise to go into if he wants
20240215_075123-COLLAGE.jpgScreenshot_20240215-075015.png

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Good to know! I saw some really light sulcatas and thought, uh oh, am I doing something wrong! but sounds like its all good.
Yeah me too! Like "TipToe" is very light colored. I saw a post of when he was a baby and he looked just like ours, very dark. 2 years ago he was already 175 lbs. I wonder if he is a Sudan 🤔

2024-03-15 13_01_55-what kind of tortoise is tiptoe - Google Search.png2024-03-15 13_01_29-what kind of tortoise is tiptoe - Google Search.png

Kkwoodson

Colorado
No humidifier or misters
Also, do not let him roam your floors. Too cold and dangerous.
He needs a closed chamber, check out getting one like in the pic I posted. This will give you a good environment for humidity and to hold temps steady
They are meant to be used indoors and outside. So once your little one is old/big enough, over 10 inches, to live outside 24/7 in summer, you can use the greenhouse to grow food or as a warmer area for your tortoise to go into if he wants
View attachment 367971View attachment 367972
Thanks so much, this is tremendously helpful!

NELSUN737

Queens Village, NY
I think it's normal, as you can see my baby Spurs,
(well you guys call them SULCATA I call them AFRICAN SPURS BOX TURTLES).
but if you look you can notice one of them is lighter than the other and the details are beautiful, when they first came they were both light and I have them for approximately 7 months and yeah they looking beautiful it's normal to change color detail hat I know of!

NELSUN737

Queens Village, NY
I think it's normal, as you can see my baby Spurs,
(well you guys call them SULCATA I call them AFRICAN SPURS BOX TURTLES).
but if you look you can notice one of them is lighter than the other and the details are beautiful, when they first came they were both light and I have them for approximately 7 months and yeah they looking beautiful it's normal to change coloration!

Attachments

• 20240315_143405.jpg
    20240315_143405.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

NELSUN737

Queens Village, NY
I think it's normal, as you can see my baby Spurs...
(well you guys call them SULCATA, I call them AFRICAN SPUR BOX TURTLES).
but if you look you can notice one of them is lighter than the other and the details are beautiful, when they first came they were both light and I have them for approximately 7 months and yeah they looking beautiful it's normal to change coloration!

OMG Thank you for answering, wow, I really appreciate help from the experts and this community!
Okay, so in regards to humidity should I buy something like this? https://a.co/d/fmGLKNu

We have a smaller enclosure and plan to do a bigger one as soon as the weather warms up. He seems happy as he comes out everyday, eats from my hand, and gets to roam outside of his enclosure 1-2 times per day. He's a good dude, he even lets us rub noses. I am so in love and just want the best for him.

I live in Colorado so if you have any help or tips on humidity knowing that we live in a dry yet cold state, lmk. I plan on building him the outdoor pen of his dreams come April or May.
Get a Spray Bottle, I Spray The Hole Enclosure and The Coconut 🥥 Fiber AT Least 3 Times a Day! I Also Bought a Temperature and Humidity Merter To Keep It Right!

Attachments

• 20240315_150206.jpg
    20240315_150206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

NELSUN737

Queens Village, NY
Never in pairs. Get them separated ASAP and get the fake grass out! Orchid bark, fir bark or coconut coir for substrate in a closed chamber.
I Didn’t Ask You About Pairs Or Fake Grass But Thank you Anyway!
I Use The F-Grass When I Feed Them Only, And As Of Having a Pair I ALWAY Had Pairs With NO Problem!

Attachments

• 17105301122252446730122170757480.jpg
    17105301122252446730122170757480.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

NELSUN737

Queens Village, NY
Hello. First time tortoise owner so looking for advice on my less than a year old tortoise. His shell has darkened a ton. I am wondering if any mine can confirm that this is normal. Attached are two photos, I’m getting mixed information on the internet. I already know I need to increase the humidity of his cage. Thank you in advance.
PERFECTLY NORMAL, AS YOU CAN SEE BOTH OF MY AFRICAN SPURS ARE DIFERENT IN COLORATION AND THE WERE SAME COLOR 7 MO AGO!
IS GENETIC, JUST FEED THEM WELL AND ENJOY YOUR BABIES!

Attachments

• 20240315_143405.jpg
    20240315_143405.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I Didn’t Ask You About Pairs Or Fake Grass But Thank you Anyway!
I Use The F-Grass When I Feed Them Only, And As Of Having a Pair I ALWAY Had Pairs With NO Problem!
Pairs are not good. You might not notice it but there is an issue with them being in pairs or any others you have had. There is a TON of proof about this on this forum. It is simply a choice of "What level of care am I willing to give my tortoise."