Marginated Tortoise Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
how many marginated owners do we have? how many do we have who are interested in marginateds? how many would like to see a dedicated marginated tortoise forum on the index page?

[hear ye! hear ye!]

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
I'm interested in them, but do not own any at this time.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I have one male :D whose very lonely ;)

Danny

old4x4

10 Year Member!
One very little (unsexed) "guy". I've had him for 2 months. My first tort. I'd like a dedicated forum. Been using the Russian and Greek forums...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I too am interested in them. Don't have any Yet. But you never know.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
what does a Marginated tortoise look like? i googled it and it came out with pictures of hermanns and pancakes and sulacata's?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Rosiee said:
what does a Marginated tortoise look like? i googled it and it came out with pictures of hermanns and pancakes and sulacata's?

100_3727.jpg

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
MY LORD! its huge, are their shells surpposed to look like that?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Love that they look like a Greek with a skirt. :p
RFBT your marginated looks like an elder girl/guy? do you know what its age is?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am almost 100% sure they aren't older then 15 years old. I know they are between 10 and 15. They are very cool tortoises because they are always out at sun up basking. They wedge up against somthing and stand side ways. They are a very unique and interesting species. For some reason females are really hard to find, and when they do come up for sale they are always priced way out my range.

I was thinking about buying some hatchlings to raise up. Once I get the extra money. (always more important things to do once extra money comes around)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Redfootedboxturtles said:
I was thinking about buying some hatchlings to raise up. Once I get the extra money. (always more important things to do once extra money comes around)

Wow, I would have guessed much older. I know how that extra stuff and money thing goes. They look way cool. Are they much different to care for than a Greek?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am not an expert on Greeks. But I do know that marginated range is higher in the mountains then other Mediterranean tortoise. Their diet is pretty much the same. They like greens, mine eat mostly hibiscus leaves and weeds. Some times I will toss them some firm fruit like apple or pears but that is maybe once or twice a month at the most. Ive had them for two years and haven't seem them drinking from the water dish once. But they love to come out in the rain and just relax. I am sure its much more humid here in south Florida then their natural range. But they are thriving . And show mating and territorial behavior. Witch is interesting to observe even though there is no girls. They are awesome pet torts.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
josh said:
how many marginated owners do we have? how many do we have who are interested in marginateds? how many would like to see a dedicated marginated tortoise forum on the index page?

[hear ye! hear ye!]

do it!

proud marginated owner here

Status
Not open for further replies.