Decision Making: Marginated vs Elongated

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Both species are kept here. Elongata are spectacular. Very gregarious, outgoing,consume a wide variety of almost anything from meat to veggies, stay somewhat smaller to medium, extremely versatile in husbandry requirements. They can range form cool temps to extreme heats, dry to saturated. Of course in the middle is always best. However, if in the future you do plan to add additional specimens. They can get very very hostile. I've actually lost offspring to cage mates at 4-6 month old specimens eating another. They are a true old world species that understands the concept of "survival of the fittest". Was a gruesome encounter for sure. But nature none the less. So keep in mind your future planning on whichever species you go with. I say go for elongated. They're very underrated. But as stated most species can have both negatives and positives influenced by a lot.

Marginata are great. They get medium sized, have outgoing personalities, consume a wide range of weeds, greens, succulents, and can sometimes eat carrion in the wild(not necessary in captivity). They do hibernate naturally. So a slow down period in winter months will be common. This species is suitable for cage mates in of course proper set ups. A smaller enclosure will most likely ensure stressing, or harassment of either sex. That of course is if you plan to add additional animals in future.

It's completely up to you really. If you live in a temperate climate as stated by Tom. It is easier to adjust which species would be best and easier to care for. But I personally like challenges. Would be cool in a cold, temperate climate to have a very large enclosure set up with heavily planted tropicals, and "rainforest" type setting for an elongated, and peer about the window during winter and see lots of snow. Of course I hate snow. But you get the idea.

How much room do you have to work with for indoor enclosure space?

image.jpg

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Both species are kept here. Elongata are spectacular. Very gregarious, outgoing,consume a wide variety of almost anything from meat to veggies, stay somewhat smaller to medium, extremely versatile in husbandry requirements. They can range form cool temps to extreme heats, dry to saturated. Of course in the middle is always best. However, if in the future you do plan to add additional specimens. They can get very very hostile. I've actually lost offspring to cage mates at 4-6 month old specimens eating another. They are a true old world species that understands the concept of "survival of the fittest". Was a gruesome encounter for sure. But nature none the less. So keep in mind your future planning on whichever species you go with. I say go for elongated. They're very underrated. But as stated most species can have both negatives and positives influenced by a lot.

Marginata are great. They get medium sized, have outgoing personalities, consume a wide range of weeds, greens, succulents, and can sometimes eat carrion in the wild(not necessary in captivity). They do hibernate naturally. So a slow down period in winter months will be common. This species is suitable for cage mates in of course proper set ups. A smaller enclosure will most likely ensure stressing, or harassment of either sex. That of course is if you plan to add additional animals in future.

It's completely up to you really. If you live in a temperate climate as stated by Tom. It is easier to adjust which species would be best and easier to care for. But I personally like challenges. Would be cool in a cold, temperate climate to have a very large enclosure set up with heavily planted tropicals, and "rainforest" type setting for an elongated, and peer about the window during winter and see lots of snow. Of course I hate snow. But you get the idea.

How much room do you have to work with for indoor enclosure space?

View attachment 132642
So are marginated similar then to the way redfoots can be in "groups" per say? I would probably be able to devote a 4x8 enclosure for all of my torts in winter months, but when they are adults I could definitely build an isulated hide box for them. The elongated are so interesting to me with all their shell and skin color variations. What do you think about my space?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
4x8 would be ok for a single adult. Possibly a pair. But pretty minimum really. Marginated can get quite large. I wouldn't say they're like the Redfoots. But they aren't near aggressive as other species like elongated can be. From time to time it may work having multiple animals together in close quarters but sometimes it may be a death sentence. Never know if you raise up a passive male or alpha male.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
4x8 would be ok for a single adult. Possibly a pair. But pretty minimum really. Marginated can get quite large. I wouldn't say they're like the Redfoots. But they aren't near aggressive as other species like elongated can be. From time to time it may work having multiple animals together in close quarters but sometimes it may be a death sentence. Never know if you raise up a passive male or alpha male.
I would most likely only be keeping one animal in the 4x8 as an adult.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would most likely only be keeping one animal in the 4x8 as an adult.
Your golden then. That's suitable for either species. Just wanted to make sure that IF others were added may need to be prepared that you may need another enclosure. It's definitely less likely with marginated though.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Okay great! One last question. Would i need to maintain a tropical humid evnironment for an elongated if it was an adult or just a humid hide (pertaining to the indoor setup of course). They would get the humidity outside in the summer but at adult size does it need to be 80% inside?