Male or Female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caligull

5 Year Member
Hi,
I am wondering if my little Greek is a male or a female. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• sexing torts 001.jpg
    sexing torts 001.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 106
  • sexing torts 002.jpg
    sexing torts 002.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks female to me. But all baby tortoises look female. How big is this tortoise?

caligull

5 Year Member
I am unsure of her age. I have had her (?) for two years. She is not a baby, I think that her growth was stunted due to her previous care - before I got her.
I have added two additional pictures of her whole body.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rosie 2summer 2012 010.jpg
    Rosie 2summer 2012 010.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • Rosie summer 2012 014.jpg
    Rosie summer 2012 014.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
caligull said:
I am unsure of her age. I have had her (?) for two years. She is not a baby, I think that her growth was stunted due to her previous care - before I got her.

Thanks
Looks like a female.
Her growth wasn't stunted, just the opposite, it is accelerated. She has grown too fast. Stunted growth is when something grows too slow usually due to malnutrition, poor environment and/or other factors.

caligull

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
caligull said:

Thanks
Looks like a female.
Her growth wasn't stunted, just the opposite, it is accelerated. She has grown too fast. Stunted growth is when something grows too slow usually due to malnutrition, poor environment and/or other factors.

Wow. What makes you think that her growth was accelerated? I thought that Greeks got to be about 8" when adult? I assumed that under the conditions that I got her, not the best, that her growth would have been stunted.
Thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Accelerated growth is caused primarily by keeping a tortoise consistently too hot all the time. Other factors also contribute such as overfeeding and not enough space for activity, excessive use of supplements and other environmental factors.

There are several Greek tortoise subspecies throughout the Middle East, North Africa and the Northern Mediterranean. Their mature adult size varies based on subspecies and in some cases, geographical location. Many subspecies reach a mature adult size of over 8", some as large as 12". A few subspecies barely reach 6". There really is no "rule of thumb" for the Greek group as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.