Male Female Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
I don't know what to do. The male is a rescue, and we love him so much. The female is newer and we bought her. I don't feel like putting these bigger tortoise in a smaller pen is good for them, they've had the run of the whole place for so long. Anyone want a female?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Texastort said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I have a female thats the same size as her and your is definitely a female too. Since they have been together for only 3 months she is probably just trying to show her dominance since she may or may not have been raised by herself.

Do you think once that dominance is established she will chill? Its been fascinating to watch, such a large animal be completely docile with a smaller one, then all of a sudden go ape s**t.

Thats definitely a possibility but I have not seen a female literally continually attack a male over and over again. It may be because your male is quite small compared to her and she knows she can walk all over him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Id love to have her if we can figure out how to get her to Cali.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Not to change the subject, but what is the story on that male, he's so strange looking.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Texastort said:
I don't know what to do. The male is a rescue, and we love him so much. The female is newer and we bought her. I don't feel like putting these bigger tortoise in a smaller pen is good for them, they've had the run of the whole place for so long. Anyone want a female?

I'd absolutely love a female of this size. Have been looking for one for quite some time now. I have a large male that is about 120lbs, so they'd probably do better together since he is at least her size. I live in Arizona where are you located?

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Weda737 said:
Not to change the subject, but what is the story on that male, he's so strange looking.

Yeah, he was adopted in last year. Lived in seattle his whole life, inside in a pen, only sunlight through a window. Super sad. He has a funky shell and a really long neck, but we love him. He came to us super aggressive and in bad shape, he has really blossomed. He's a bit beat up now though....

yazzy1012 said:
Texastort said:

I'd absolutely love a female of this size. Have been looking for one for quite some time now. I have a large male that is about 120lbs, so they'd probably do better together since he is at least her size. I live in Arizona where are you located?

I'm in Fort Worth texas.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Texastort said:
Yeah, he was adopted in last year. Lived in seattle his whole life, inside in a pen, only sunlight through a window. Super sad. He has a funky shell and a really long neck, but we love him. He came to us super aggressive and in bad shape, he has really blossomed. He's a bit beat up now though....

I'm in Fort Worth texas.

Just Sent you a personal message.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hope you find her a good home she is beautiful :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I was wondering what you ended up doing with her. Did you adopt her out or did you come up with another solution? Thanks in advance for the update.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
lovelyrosepetal said:
I was wondering what you ended up doing with her. Did you adopt her out or did you come up with another solution? Thanks in advance for the update.

The story had a happy ending, she went to a home here in Texas. My only conclusion as to what happened here is a scarcity of food. She went crazy when it got really hot and my grass in their area stopped growing. I was supplementing their food but I wonder with the food supply drying up had something to do with it. She ATE A TON. That's my latest hypothesis. She beat my big boy to bloody hell. Sad, he is recovering nicely now and she has a good home.

Status
Not open for further replies.