Making soil lighter and airier

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Does anyone know what I can do top soil to make it lighter and airier?

I have an outdoor 6x3 mobile pen on wheels with 7-8" of top soil. Regular top soil makes it heavy to move, it also doesn't drain well. I do have number of large holes on the bottom to drain. Anything I can mix it with to make it lighter and airier/more drainable?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Lisa is correct. Organic peat moss will work. We use it in our beds and enclosures because our soil is VERY clay heavy.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Peat moss, sphagnum moss, dried leaves, coconut coir. Any of that stuff will work. If you want a lighter soil that actually holds moisture well an organic potting soil works better than top soil which is very dense. Potting soil is less dirt and more "forest fodder" making it lighter weight per square yard than top soil too.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I thought about peat moss, but it holds water. I actually would prefer something that doesn't. Even though I have 18, 2" holes and rocks at the bottom its still super wet with rotting smell at the bottom when I dig in.
What about mixing potting soil with bark? Would adding larger granulated limestone help airing too?
I do have layer of leaves and needles on the top. The pen only gets sun after 1pm.
Any other ideas?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.