Top soil?

Location (City and/or State)
Central Kentucky
Hi y'all I built an L Tortoise table it will be for a adult Russian and I want plants, 1.would it be easier to use top soil as base substrate and put plants right in or should I not use top soil at all and pot up the plants and sink into orkid bark. 2.Also if I do use top soil I have this but after going threw it not sure I can use it full of sticks rocks plastic I know to pick out plastic but what about rocks and all the sticks? (obviously not what the label says) Thanks y'all IMG_1072.JPGIMG_1071.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem with top soil is that there is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Its also messy and turns to mud. I won't use it.

Pot your plants and bury the bottoms of the pots into the substrate.

Fine grade orchid bark works best for adult russians.

Central Kentucky
The problem with top soil is that there is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Its also messy and turns to mud. I won't use it.

Fine grade orchid bark works best for adult russians.
Ok thanks, this is what I have Is this good?IMG_1107.PNG

Central Kentucky
I believe that is what I bought and am using.
That's the one WITHOUT the added stuff. Just plain bark. There are larger bags that are just a little more money and are a better deal per square foot.
Yes it looks really nice and smells good. I couldn't find any bigger bags and I didn't feel like messing with ordering anything online, so if this is good enough for the tortoise then it's good enough for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as there are no additives, and its not too coarse of a grade, that stuff should work perfectly for you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I do what Tom suggests here. To give you an example, here is a picture I just went out and took of one of my enclosures. They love to sit beneath the overhanging plants, and will trim up what they can reach as it grows, but cannot knock it over. My tortoises really seem to be much more active since I started putting lots of plants around their enclosures.

IMG_5136.JPG

Central Kentucky
As long as there are no additives, and its not too coarse of a grade, that stuff should work perfectly for you.
OK thank you, I know there are no additives does course mean large pieces ? It's not rough to the touch the reptibark was that I took back. So good deal then.

Central Kentucky
I do what Tom suggests here. To give you an example, here is a picture I just went out and took of one of my enclosures. They love to sit beneath the overhanging plants, and will trim up what they can reach as it grows, but cannot knock it over. My tortoises really seem to be much more active since I started putting lots of plants around their enclosures.

View attachment 203406
Oh wow that is really cool and that is exactly what I am looking to do I appreciate the picture! I am working on my plants right now my mother-in-law gave me some spider plants regular ones and all green is that ok? And all natural and I just took this picture for you because I thought it would also be cool to have some sitting on top of the tortoise table overhanging it that way too. I really want to make him a tortoise table that will provide him with what he needs while he is in the house or she just saying I really appreciate all the help from everyone on this forum because I sure don't know what I'm doing but having a lot of fun learning.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    710.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1116.JPG
    IMG_1116.JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK thank you, I know there are no additives does course mean large pieces ? It's not rough to the touch the reptibark was that I took back. So good deal then.
Yes. They have different grades of orchid bark. Coarser grades have larger pieces. Fine grade is what you want, where the pieces are approximately the size of raisins or a little smaller.

Central Kentucky
Yes. They have different grades of orchid bark. Coarser grades have larger pieces. Fine grade is what you want, where the pieces are approximately the size of raisins or a little smaller.
OK thank you I will see if I can find that grade and exchange what I have I appreciate the help !

ryanellis

What is the best bedding for my marginated tortoise
I have used Premium Beech Chips Coarse from swellreptile website but people say top soil do I recently been using it but I prefer using wood chip as it keep them from getting soil in there water dish and it bloody annoying lol

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

Hi Tom. I’ve been using the fine grade Orchid Bark you recommended but I notice she’s been eating it because she’s been pooping it. I am nervous it would become impacted? I really would like to avoid top soil because it’s messy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom. I’ve been using the fine grade Orchid Bark you recommended but I notice she’s been eating it because she’s been pooping it. I am nervous it would become impacted? I really would like to avoid top soil because it’s messy.

Is the tortoise eating it on purpose, or is it sticking to the food?

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Is the tortoise eating it on purpose, or is it sticking to the food?

I think it’s getting picked up with the food. I place the food on a large piece of tile but she stomps and drags it everywhere.

I need more substrate so just debating what to get

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it’s getting picked up with the food. I place the food on a large piece of tile but she stomps and drags it everywhere.

I need more substrate so just debating what to get

I use a large terra cotta saucer for the food. Helps keep more of the food in, and more of the substrate out. A little incidental orchid bark ingestion will not cause a blockage. I see pieces from time to time in many of my soaking tubs.