Lost scute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrushing

5 Year Member
Hi,
I have a 9 yr old African Spur who has been in a large kiddie pool on from porch until 2 weeks ago when I moved him to an enclosed area in back yard where he can dig and graze grass. I was gone for 2 days and it rained during that time. When I returned he had lost a scute from the middle of hs top shell. I am thinking it is from too much moisture. I am in SE Texas. I took him to a reptile vet last night who does not have any African Spur's as patients and was not familiar with this. He took a lot of pics and sent them to a vererinary reptile forum and will get back with me today. He gave me a chlorohexidene cleansing solution and permethrin ointment to keep flies off the soft spots. I took a fresh stool sample also and they are testing for parasites. Has anyone seen this before? I trird to attach a photo but I am having probles (I am on work computer.)
Thanks

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I've heard and seen scutes pop up, but on water turtles. It isn't from the humidity because we'd certainly see more of it happening. There may be a problem with bacteria, parasites or possibly diet. How big is this guy because a 9 year old should be quite a big boy, much too big to live in a kiddie pool.

How about telling us other info like size, weight, diet, where he came from, etc. and pics are a bonus to show us what is going on also. I guarantee we have members on here who know more than your vet does about these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.