Little Mr. FreBee.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is just my opinion, If he is weened and not nursing any longer. Why not bring him home? In 1958 I got my first puppy. The people across the street had a dog that was going to have a litter and when she gave birth I picked which one I wanted the day he was born. I couldn't wait to bring him home. I don't remember how old he was but as soon as he was eating on his own I took him home. Back then they didn't have the special foods that are out there now. He was raised on canned food and table scraps. He died in 1974. Then not long after he died someone had a litter that the mother died so I took one and he wasn't weened yet. So he was bottle fed for a while. They both lived nice long lives without medical problems.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Enjoy your new puppy when you get it. He looks so cute 🐕. I think it will keep you very busy with training and petting. Keep us posted nice to read other animals updates from members.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
This is just my opinion, If he is weened and not nursing any longer. Why not bring him home? In 1958 I got my first puppy. The people across the street had a dog that was going to have a litter and when she gave birth I picked which one I wanted the day he was born. I couldn't wait to bring him home. I don't remember how old he was but as soon as he was eating on his own I took him home. Back then they didn't have the special foods that are out there now. He was raised on canned food and table scraps. He died in 1974. Then not long after he died someone had a litter that the mother died so I took one and he wasn't weened yet. So he was bottle fed for a while. They both lived nice long lives without medical problems.
Because what you described absolutely can work, but the odds of having issues are higher. In one of the earlier threads this subject came up and the general advice from the ex breeders and rescuers is wait as long as possible. In rescue we deal with orphans all the time - it can end up fine, but the odds are better for the dogs to be well socialized and well fed if she can wait.

Now that said, if the mom is going to hurt the pups, they should be separated for sure.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have everything ready except deciding what food I want to use. Since my brother is using Purina puppy chow I figure maybe I shouldn't change that. He's also used a little goats milk. That's not what he wants to do for them. He wants to use canned but Briar is being a little biatch. So at least right away I'll have to I guess. He's so small even for a puppy I still want to give him a canned food somehow. Also that kibble is large and hard so it'll still have to be softened. I want something Fre will enjoy crunching that's small enough for a toy dog's mouth.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Enjoy your new puppy when you get it. He looks so cute 🐕. I think it will keep you very busy with training and petting. Keep us posted nice to read other animals updates from members.
I will 😊 thanks 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been looking for a little jacket for my puppy for after his bath when I bring him home. This is the only one I've been able to find 🤔IMG_20240307_161108749.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My next question is what people here like to feed their toy dogs as a puppy starter food. Any input is welcome. I know I want to use a soft food, a dry food, and a treat for training. I've always used free fed for even my rabbits but I'm not sure that would be a good idea for a puppy.
I highly recommend Diamond Natural products.
www.diamondnatural.com

They are a small family owned company, not a huge corporation. I like to support the little businesses when possible. The food gets a "highly recommended" rating from dogadvisor.com If you aren't familiar with them, they rate the quality of most dog foods, both dry and canned. They also rate the cost of the food. The Diamond Naturals brand is considered a reasonable cost. Here in SoCal I pay $42. for a 40lb bag of large breed puppy kibble from Tractor Supply. You can also order it from Amazon or Chewy. They carry "all life stages" kibble which would work for your little fellow. And when he gets older, they have a "small dog" adult food.

Recently I read that at least some of the dry food sold by Costco is actually made by Diamond Naturals. Another endorsement in my opinion.

And they just launched catadvisor.com for those who have felines.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
www.diamondnatural.com

They are a small family owned company, not a huge corporation. I like to support the little businesses when possible. The food gets a "highly recommended" rating from dogadvisor.com If you aren't familiar with them, they rate the quality of most dog foods, both dry and canned. They also rate the cost of the food. The Diamond Naturals brand is considered a reasonable cost. Here in SoCal I pay $42. for a 40lb bag of large breed puppy kibble from Tractor Supply. You can also order it from Amazon or Chewy. They carry "all life stages" kibble which would work for your little fellow. And when he gets older, they have a "small dog" adult food.

Recently I read that at least some of the dry food sold by Costco is actually made by Diamond Naturals. Another endorsement in my opinion.

I'll check that out. Thanks 🤗 we have a couple of tractor sales here near me. I buy my compressed bales of Timothy hay there. If one doesn't have it the other one might.😉 And chewy just really helped me out a bunch with my playpen. $20 just got me a little garden fence type setup for my baby shipping and all. It's 8 panels 2 foot wide already connected to just set up a playpen inside or out for tiny animals. Including my bunny.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'll check that out. Thanks 🤗 we have a couple of tractor sales here near me. I buy my compressed bales of Timothy hay there. If one doesn't have it the other one might.😉 And chewy just really helped me out a bunch with my playpen. $20 just got me a little garden fence type setup for my baby shipping and all. It's 8 panels 2 foot wide already connected to just set up a playpen inside or out for tiny animals. Including my bunny.
And I think I've actually seen that product around.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
www.diamondnatural.com

I agree, Even though I cook for my dogs I've always had the Diamond brand on hand. From the puppy stage to now, the adult small dog blend.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My brother was in the puppies room when I called him tonight. Oh my garsh/!? He's letting them get by with murder 😜🙃ok though I guess my little boy will enjoy a peaceful place better I hope 😁 soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If I could get 4 or 5 lb.bags of diamond naturals around here I would. I only have 1 teeny tiny puppy coming soon. My animals have always so enjoyed a fresh bag of kibble that I can't bear to do bags that last months. I bought wellness instead today because small bags are available.. I'm seeing great reviews and bad ones too. I can take it back. It's a small kibble for small breed puppies though. The canned food will be new for the puppy. I don't want to buy a whole 4lb bag of Purina puppy chow but I will if I have to.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I visited my little Mr Fre Bee 🐝 today. These puppies are so cute. They love people. This, if I can do it, is a couple of pics from today's visit.IMG_20240312_120526152.jpgIMG_20240312_120522070.jpgthe second picture is Fre

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Beautiful colors, Wi

Beautiful colors, Will Frebee stay black or is there a possibility his color may change some in time?
My puppy is brown like his father kind of. They are all to young to tell yet. Briar the mother was black but turned silver. Three of the puppies are black. The other 2 are brown. Mine is the brown boy. The little brown girl wanted to cuddle with me today. I had a puppy blast.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope everything goes great with you and your puppy. Can't believe how small they are!