Limited diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
My russian does not consume many of the foods I offer him! I grow hibiscus flowers for him. I attempt to feed him multiple varieties of salads spring mix Etc. He only eats romaine lettuce preferably the stalks. Is this normal? I've had many of you say tortoises would be attracted to colorful foods but he seems to avoid them all together. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chop up the better foods and also the romaine, leaving the romaine just a little bigger then the other stuff. Pile it all together and spritz with water. If he wants the romaine, he will have to eat some of the others in order to do so. Then slowly mix in less and less romaine, until he is readily eating the others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And don't be afraid to let him get hungry during this process. Hungry tortoises are not picky tortoises, as long as they are healthy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with Tom, you have be a tough about this. A healthy tort can easily go a couple of weeks without eating, but not drinking.

If he goes on hunger strike in protest, soak him daily so he stays hydrated. Don't give in... treat him like a child refusing dinner because it only wants candy.

Offer what you want him to eat and walk away. It usually takes 3 or 4 days for the tort to decide that they will have to eat whaton offer, but some will hold out longer.

If you give in and go back to the desired food, you are back at square one.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I deal with picky eaters they come round to it eventually, rocky might be a big guy but he likes his dinner fresh and he hates trying new stuff !

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
He's definitely a brat. I wonder where he gets it from! ImageUploadedByTortForum1372865036.982710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Chop up the better foods and also the romaine, leaving the romaine just a little bigger then the other stuff. Pile it all together and spritz with water. If he wants the romaine, he will have to eat some of the others in order to do so. Then slowly mix in less and less romaine, until he is readily eating the others.

This definitely worked! Though I did see him digging around for the romaine he did eat plenty of the other food. Thank you so much!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Limited diet.

PrincessToad said:
wellington said:

This definitely worked! Though I did see him digging around for the romaine he did eat plenty of the other food. Thank you so much!

Got him! :D Well done :)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Keep it up and eventually you won't have to mix in the romaine to get him to eat other things!

Status
Not open for further replies.